Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I'm disgusted.........

Old 12-18-2009, 07:54 AM
Typical Buck

slightly confused, but i guess you choose who hunts with you
Old 12-18-2009, 07:58 AM
Fork Horn

Aaaahhhhh the dogs. Yes, they get the deer moving. But depending on how warm it is the deer will overheat and die and get eaten by coyotees. If your county had a shortage of deer then they probably would not let you hunt deer with dogs.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:01 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bowfly
slightly confused, but i guess you choose who hunts with you
Yes, I know. He's a character. On the other hand I don't get any calls from people wanting to hunt with me..............On a different note. After having a crossbow malfunction this year, I noticed the new Bear bows they have out now. I think I'll be getting one before next season.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:52 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Horacio
Unfortunately, people do it because it occasionally works. My dad is the world's worst about that and has shot more deer from his truck than you can shake a stick at. At least he's doing it on private property but I admit, when I was a kid, we hunted the 'long pasture' once.

I remember when I was about 16 or 17 I used to always get in trouble out on the deer lease because I 'roamed'. I'd find some brush at the edge of an oat field or I'd camp a trail in the woods. My great uncle would chew me out for hunting in my cousin's areas. I set up a little box blind at a cross roads and deer would come down this road. It was my place to hunt and I liked to get out early. People going to the back portion had to pass right by me to get to their stands. My uncle drove by one morning in his suburban and waved. He drove about 50yds past and his brake lights came on. BOOM! He shot a nice 8 pt buck that was heading up to the road, not 100 yds away. "there was another buck with him, you can shoot him" Yeah, never saw that one.

To this day, my old man will drive up to my stand and stick his head out the window at the prime hunting times..."see anything?" "Yeah, a big diesel pickup with a dumbass behind the wheel."
Your Dad sound just like my Dad!! With the exception of him messing up my hunting. He never does that, if he is gonna sit in his truck he is there before daylight. He sits on stands a lot too, just depends on the weather and how he is feeling.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:10 AM
Fork Horn

My Dad stands. That's it. If you think about it, makes perfect sense. When your standing you can see a little farther in the woods. Your mobile, not stuck in a tree. He's from PA. and took this Monster Buck with a Pumpkin Ball on a lot he used to own in Spotsy., 1979.....
Crossing a beaver dam....
"Buckey"
I'm feeling better allready.......Ya I know, he needs a little dusting........
Attached Thumbnails I'm disgusted.........-100_0549.jpg  

Last edited by Big Buck Dave; 12-18-2009 at 09:12 AM.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Big Buck Dave
Aaaahhhhh the dogs. Yes, they get the deer moving. But depending on how warm it is the deer will overheat and die and get eaten by coyotees. If your county had a shortage of deer then they probably would not let you hunt deer with dogs.
Don't know where you heard that, it's not true...
Old 12-18-2009, 09:33 AM
Fork Horn

you gotta choose you hunting buddies well I have guys who iv hunted with once and after that never again. I ignore there invites to go in the woods because i dont consider serious hunters like myself. I have 2 hunting buddies my dad and a close friend of mine they both scout properly and only shoots nice deer. Practice proper scent control uses trail cams and do not shoot he first thing that walks by

Last edited by scribbler444; 12-18-2009 at 10:03 AM.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:39 AM
Fork Horn

I had a phone conversation over lunch with my hunting buddy. Great guy, friend of my wife's from high school so way back. I let him hunt out on our place and he's gotten a little trash horn buck with a bow this season and still holding out for the beat off his trail cam.

The conversation was pretty much "you're a great guy and I like having someone to hunt with but keep your head down because Earl is....well, Earl."
Old 12-18-2009, 09:39 AM
Fork Horn

Well I will tell you from my mid November hunt. I sit down in this bottom and after about a half hour a squirrel comes out. Nice and cold with anticipation of dogs barking, chasing, way off for a while, lots of shots. One inparticular comes into my area, first I hear the scamper of little hoves on the next ridge. Then the dog haveing a good ol' time. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed it. After they passed I walked to where I had seen a glance of the deer. Nothing. Well then I decided to backtrack. Then low and behold I walked about twenty yards behind where I was sitting, was a doe. I had to take a second look because I had never seen a deer look like that before. It was hunched over breathing so hard I walked up to about five feet away then took two steps back and let it have it! A perfectly healthy doe too. So tired I walked right up to it and there was nothing it could do but lay down and try to catch its' breath. I feel it was a mercy harvest. Nowonder the coyotees are gourging themselves. Don't get me wrong it was an only doe day so after tagging and dragging it a few miles back to the truck to meet my Dad, I felt accomplishment.
O'ya my Dad was not IN the truck, he stayed on the path and I waited for him....

Last edited by Big Buck Dave; 12-18-2009 at 09:44 AM.
Old 12-18-2009, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I actually commend your friend for putting that 1 legged deer out of its misery. seriously, if i had to choose between using a tag for a nice buck or a deer thats suffering, Id have to do the right thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.