Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Why do some area Breed more BUCKS? >

Why do some area Breed more BUCKS?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Why do some area Breed more BUCKS?

Old 12-20-2009, 03:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Vinny_HC
I read that in contrast to most other areas deer populations in Alberta (where I live) produce a very high percentage of doe in comparison to bucks. When I hunt I see does to bucks in about 20-to-1 ratios at least. Does anyone know why this is?
Don't believe everything you read, this is simply not true...The birth rate of bucks to does will be close to 50/50...
Old 12-20-2009, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Like all mammals, sex is determined by the sex chromosome of the sperm that fertilizes the egg. Diet and environment have nothing to do with determining the sex of most higher vertebrates. The birth sex distribution is very close to 50% male to 50% female. Given that bucks and does have a roughly equal chance of survival considering only natural mortality, then if there is a substantial disparity between the male/female population, it's likely been caused by an excessive preference for taking bucks over does during the hunting season. This is part of the reasons that areas that develop this problem often have restrictions like minimum antler requirements, earn-a-buck, etc... to limit buck harvest and/or encourage the taking of does to even things out. That said, if the population ever got to a 20:1 ratio of does to bucks, then that population is in serious trouble.

That said, just because you're seeing more does than bucks doesn't necessarily mean that population ratio is skewed. It's also important to note that the behavior of the two sexes might have something to do with what you actually see. Does tend to be far more communal than bucks after maturity, meaning that does will form groups (herds) and travel together. Mature bucks, on the other hand, tend to be far more territorial, solitary and a bit reclusive with the exception of the rut. Does also seem to be more likely to move during the day, where bucks more often tend to be nocturnal, except, again, during the rut. I'd be willing to bet that if you put out a game camera, you'd see more bucks, but most will be spotted at night.

Mike

Last edited by driftrider; 12-20-2009 at 08:00 AM.
Old 12-20-2009, 11:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Vinny_HC
Early, I live near there (Cameron Heights). Can you hunt there?

Anyway do you think there are more buck, but my poor hunting tactics are avoiding me from seeing them?
I was able to get on that land ONLY because a resident Indian was guiding me via my outfitter.

I can only speak about what I've seen up there during the rut, but EVERY time (4 seasons) I've hunted the Bow Zone I've seen waaaay more buck than doe. My guide told me what the ratio was. I can't speak on your hunting practices/tactics because I don't know how you hunt.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:04 AM
Fork Horn

20:1??? If that is the case then you need to start some serious doe management! I dont know how many anterless tags you can get, but start shooting those does. All thoses does are doing is getting fat and eating up all the food source. If you was a 1 1/2 old buck looking for a new home area would you move to a area that had a bunch of does eating everything up? Of course not.

I had a 12:1 ratio in Ohio 6 years ago. I started taking 2 does a year, same with my brother, and dad. And within two years, we have had more bucks and a ratio of about 4:1, which we are still working on.
Old 12-21-2009, 01:05 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks Spike. They give out supplemental doe tages each year on top of a general tag, so in theory I could take 2 does a year myself.