HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Post-Rut Buck (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/312697-post-rut-buck.html)

llpaintball 12-16-2009 04:47 PM

Post-Rut Buck

Hey all im new here, Im looking for some advice. Theres a buck ive been hunting all season, ive seen him since rifle season but I havent seen him in about a week. Does anyone know where I should look to find this buck, and also I know hes alive because im the only person who hunts on my property.

Thanks a lot:party0005:

Hunting Kuk 12-16-2009 04:55 PM

Thick timber is a good bet if their are stll acorns if not find a food source post rut a buck will be looking for any and all food to build up fat before the bad part of winter.

good luck at him

llpaintball 12-16-2009 05:19 PM

Yea thats what I have been doing, but im having a hard time trying to find food sources. Theres a small field, but I have never seen deer in it

countertop 12-16-2009 05:56 PM

How big is your property? Just cause no one else hunts it (that you know of) doesn't mean he hasn't left it to chase a doe or food.

llpaintball 12-16-2009 06:01 PM

I would say 200 acres

Big Buck Dave 12-16-2009 06:11 PM

That's why you hunt with other people. Find out where they are going and use them to your advantage. Greed will only result in failure!

He's with the does.........

Find the thickest thicket on the property, find a tree to set "up" in, and there is probably going to be only one tree suitable for a treestand........Get in at about two O'clock. They'll be by you at 4:45.

Make sure you take pics of that big O'l boy and share, then call the taxidermist........

putt46 12-16-2009 06:14 PM

Food food food

Big Buck Dave 12-16-2009 06:18 PM

O' your in Page? I'm in Stafford......... I could come out and scare him to you. Or let you use a treestand? I'll put some doe scent out and get every buck in there from a five mile radius!

llpaintball 12-16-2009 06:20 PM

Dave, I am the only one who hunts that property because I dont own it. Its my cousin's property and he has to give permission to people, im just the only one who has asked to hunt it I guess. But are you saying to set up a stand inside the thicket, because I have a stand right beside it and ive been in it hoping he'd come out but he hasnt so far

Big Buck Dave 12-16-2009 06:30 PM

Yes, that's it. You just need to spend time in your stand. That's it. I like the evening hunt, they usually move right at sunset and you have a halfhour after that. If you don't see him right after sunset you probably will not. Man you should take a friend with you, with your cousins permission ofcourse, we have a good cold front moving into the area now. You see now the BIG bucks will not move unless it's cold because they overheat. There moving now, but I always opt for the evening hunt so I don't scare them in the morning. Do you need a hunting buddy?