Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
I think "bow only" is in my future. >

I think "bow only" is in my future.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I think "bow only" is in my future.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

my dad keeps on getting more of a bowhunter me I hunt more with a bow but when gun season roles around thats all i use is a gun
Old 12-16-2009, 05:50 PM
Fork Horn

Well late season you really need the range of a gun. The deer are moving less, the does are'nt running around looking for bucks, and the bucks are not fighting. The big bucks are using the does for protection. The mature does lead as the big bucks trail behind watching. Most residential places I've hunted with rifle are used to the sounds of hunting. And leave their porch lights on. As long as your one hundred yards from a house or a public road it's legal to shoot. I think bow season should start earlier in my area. But instead they prolong the season into March for doe. Who wants to harvest a pregnant doe, Yuk!
And lets' face it, all the felonists HAVE to use a bow....

Last edited by Big Buck Dave; 12-16-2009 at 05:54 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I rarely use a gun anymore. I hunt with a bow during gun season on a regular basis. Most of my hunting is done prior to gun season anyway.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:46 AM
Spike

This year I never even removed the gun from the cabinet. I own 73 acres in the country: I rarely see another hunter during archery season (except, possibly, the last week of archery when the rut is under way: I may see a few). However, during the 12 day rifle season the gun hunters come out of the wood work. Opening day is like the local mall, the first Saturday is nearly as bad, and the second Saturday (last day of the season) usually includes a big drive.

Meanwhile, my freezer is loaded from three deer I killed from my Dad's yard in Allegheny county (Pittsburgh) with a crossbow. There is not enough room for gun hunting, but all three were killed within 15 yards of my stand anyway.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here in Southern Indiana we have so many areas where a gun would be unwelcomed by many,such as where I took my Buck this year with homes so very close. I started out my season hunting in the Hoosier National Forest near English IN but saw no Deer at all for two weeks of weekend hunting though the rubs,scrapes and tracks were everywhere. They seem to be almost totally nocturnal according to our trail camera in this area. During gun season I heard less firing than last year but a lot of Deer have been taken so far in the Southern part of my area. The little pockets I hunt are full of what you would call urban Deer. In the last 14 days I have seen 16 while out,or coming out of my hunting spot,mostly Does only 2 Bucks some I'm sure are the same ones I've spoted twice. I love geting close to them it works my heart real good everytime I see them but I have had only two shot opportunities,one hit ,one miss. The Bow is my choice but I'm sure geting one with any weapon still gets the Rush going. Geting back in the woods all day is great no matter what happens,it's like when I fish just being out there is a plus,catchin or bagin one is better but it's all a great day.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

I still love shooting deer w/ my gun... I just don't like gun season around here in Western Massachusetts. I prefer bowhunting around here... just see more deer in my "spots" I can hunt w/ the bow in my hand.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:26 AM
Typical Buck

Here in VA bow season is early Oct to Nov then 2 weeks for blackpowder. After that its no fun. Everyone around me hunt with dogs, so it easy to be sitting in your stand and hear 20+ dogs and 3 or more gun shots since there is no plug law anymore.

I am happy with my bow and Hawkens BP gun all yr.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well it was 9 deg. wind chill this morning, and I really didnt feel like sitting in a tree stand ,so I decided to stalk an out of the way spot on public land, near my house, w/ my muzzleloader. saw crap

On another note, I got stuck on some ice, when i went to pull out, and it took me 20 minutes to dig myself out. in that time, about 15 big 4x4s passed and saw me sideways on the roadside w/ a shovel in my hand. you would think one of them would at least stop and ask if i needed a pull. NOPE! not one.

people ,what a bunch of bastards
Old 12-17-2009, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I totally agree, it's hard to beat the lower pressured action a guy can find for bowhunting. The gun season woods are crowded and after the first volley of shots fired in the morning... the deer catch on QUICK! Thus low deer sightings for the rest of the short gun seasons... it can ge depressing quick. You just can't beat a couple of weeks of bowhunting the Rut, BEFORE the invasion of the pumpkin army!
Old 12-19-2009, 02:50 PM
Fork Horn

i love gun season, i hunt public land that is bow only and it is empty when gun season is in.

plus its like a 2 hour drive up to kaw lake to gun hunt.and that place is crowded with orange,i miss not being able to hunt for the last 2 season its killing me. 2010 hopefully.