Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Very inaccessible spot?

Old 12-16-2009, 10:42 AM
Fork Horn

Default Very inaccessible spot?

A few weeks ago, after I shot my doe, I went for a nice long walk on my property in NY. It is 70 acres and we have owned it for 2 years. This is the first time I have EVER walked this part of the property. Next year, I am thinking about hunting it. The only problem is, it is the most inaccessible land I have ever walked. It is about a half a mile down my property and in some very very thick stuff. I'm talking serious prickers. Also, walking to the left or right is a bunch of very steep ravines... Some you can not even walk. But this is were I found the most amount of tracks on the property, and I am suspecting some serious bucks live in there. Next year I want to hunt it, but what should I do? I have an ATV and if possible Im going to make a trail down the hill to it, but I doubt it with all of the ravines. Also, what happens if I shoot a giant buck in there? Should I quarter it right in the woods? What would you guys do? Also, there are some streams in between the ravines. I think I am going to put my stand on top of one of the ravines over looking one of these streams. I would put my stand on the funnels going into the thick stuff, but the tracks are coming from every direction, and I want to be right in the middle of it.... Probably a hang on... Definetly wont be able to get a ladder stand in there, and the climber we are always moving.

What do you think?
Old 12-16-2009, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can buy a good commercial deer hauler for $50 to $120 these days. My first deer hauler was a $42 dolly that had the bigger wheels. Got it at a Fleet store then painted it camo color. Use 2 straps to hold my deer down. It's sweet. For the sake of being easier, I'd have a buddy or two on standby, informing them of your hunting area and at some point, may need some last minute help to get a deer out of the woods. I'd jump at the opportunity to help someone get a deer out. From what you describe, these haulers may not work in much of the spots and just may have to be physically dragged out.(with help!)

For trail making, now that's fun! For me anyway. You can make a good trail with a hand held folding saw and a good pair of pruners. I have at least 3 of each. Our prickers here aren't that bad and are regional, so they are few and far between. Don't know how it will be making a trail through them. This is for a foot trail. For the more serious stuff, you can make the major trail in there for your 4-wheeler using a chainsaw and/or a weed-whacker with a circular type saw on it. Some just call these brush saws. Many people already own one.

When I read your title to the thread "Very inaccessible spot?", my first instinct was BIG bucks. LOL! From your observations and scouting, you found a high traffic area. Deer like safety and that's what they found in the back of that 70. I would do my cutting(4-wheeler) as soon as I could, then maybe make a foot trail or two, but nothing major. The deer will soon be using these as travel paths for themselves and by season, they won't think anything of them because they'll be use to it.

As for a ladder stand, you can haul it in 2 pieces. Those are the exact type places I would prefer a ladder stand. It should be safe there from theft, will most likely be there for a while, so it doesn't have to be moved much and it's nice to not have to haul a climber in there, then haul it out afterwards. Make yourself a harness to haul it with. I make mine so I can sling it over my shoulder, then carry it under my arm or to one side and the sling bares the most weight.

Keep us informed next year or whenever you take on this task. Be interesting to see what you decide.

Good luck,

iSnipe
Old 12-16-2009, 11:47 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by iSnipe
You can buy a good commercial deer hauler for $50 to $120 these days. My first deer hauler was a $42 dolly that had the bigger wheels. Got it at a Fleet store then painted it camo color. Use 2 straps to hold my deer down. It's sweet. For the sake of being easier, I'd have a buddy or two on standby, informing them of your hunting area and at some point, may need some last minute help to get a deer out of the woods. I'd jump at the opportunity to help someone get a deer out. From what you describe, these haulers may not work in much of the spots and just may have to be physically dragged out.(with help!)

For trail making, now that's fun! For me anyway. You can make a good trail with a hand held folding saw and a good pair of pruners. I have at least 3 of each. Our prickers here aren't that bad and are regional, so they are few and far between. Don't know how it will be making a trail through them. This is for a foot trail. For the more serious stuff, you can make the major trail in there for your 4-wheeler using a chainsaw and/or a weed-whacker with a circular type saw on it. Some just call these brush saws. Many people already own one.

When I read your title to the thread "Very inaccessible spot?", my first instinct was BIG bucks. LOL! From your observations and scouting, you found a high traffic area. Deer like safety and that's what they found in the back of that 70. I would do my cutting(4-wheeler) as soon as I could, then maybe make a foot trail or two, but nothing major. The deer will soon be using these as travel paths for themselves and by season, they won't think anything of them because they'll be use to it.

As for a ladder stand, you can haul it in 2 pieces. Those are the exact type places I would prefer a ladder stand. It should be safe there from theft, will most likely be there for a while, so it doesn't have to be moved much and it's nice to not have to haul a climber in there, then haul it out afterwards. Make yourself a harness to haul it with. I make mine so I can sling it over my shoulder, then carry it under my arm or to one side and the sling bares the most weight.

Keep us informed next year or whenever you take on this task. Be interesting to see what you decide.

Good luck,

iSnipe
Thanks for the info iSnipe. Maybe I will just start off with a foot trail for now. I will probably make it in the spring. I guess I will just have to haul my deer about 1/3 of a mile until I get to a spot where I can get the quad to. And as for the ladder stand, maybe I will put one in.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Usually when I think about the hard work it will take to get a stand in, it makes me procrastinate. But in every case where I finally get off my butt and do it, I always felt better afterwards and wondered why I hesitated to begin with. LOL! The hardest part is to just make a start.

Good luck,

iSnipe
Old 12-16-2009, 04:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by iSnipe

Good luck,

iSnipe
Guess you covered it....
Old 12-16-2009, 04:34 PM
Fork Horn

i hunt a similar style property. i had to go in with hedge clippers and clip my way through the briars and prickers to get to my spot. went in early season to do so.. marchish is usually my go to time to make my paths. gives me a long time to let it sit before hunting it in october. as for deer recovery i am lucky enoguh to have a large stream that flows down to a road about a mile or so away.. i just bring my waders and float them all the way down. or you get a TON of friends to help you drag that bad boy home.. friends dont complain when theres antlers involved. lol.. but seriously if its a tuff haul out like mine is.. i limit these spots to shooter buck only.. cause shooting a doe for a 4 hour haul through the gates of hell isnt worth it to me
Old 12-16-2009, 05:29 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by nwtrykon87
i hunt a similar style property. i had to go in with hedge clippers and clip my way through the briars and prickers to get to my spot. went in early season to do so.. marchish is usually my go to time to make my paths. gives me a long time to let it sit before hunting it in october. as for deer recovery i am lucky enoguh to have a large stream that flows down to a road about a mile or so away.. i just bring my waders and float them all the way down. or you get a TON of friends to help you drag that bad boy home.. friends dont complain when theres antlers involved. lol.. but seriously if its a tuff haul out like mine is.. i limit these spots to shooter buck only.. cause shooting a doe for a 4 hour haul through the gates of hell isnt worth it to me
Through the gates of hell.. LOL! But I see what you are saying, and I will definetly limit myself to a decent sized buck. This year, I didn't see a single buck on the property, but a crap load of does, and I am pretty sure this is were they are hanging out. I saw 2 big boys last year probably went 130s plus.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:38 PM
Fork Horn

good call on the limiting the spot to a shooter buck. the less you can go in their house and come out 100% free the better! is the stream big enough to float it? i would almost cut my path now in the winter when everything is a lot less bare.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:45 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by cwanty03
good call on the limiting the spot to a shooter buck. the less you can go in their house and come out 100% free the better! is the stream big enough to float it? i would almost cut my path now in the winter when everything is a lot less bare.
No, its not big enough, they are seasonal brooks running in the middle of the ravines. That is true, if I can make it up there soon, I will start cutting my path.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:20 PM
Typical Buck

Default Asap

Get in there and cut your trail .
Find a spot to set up your stand and get it done asap .
Whenever I decide on a new stand sight , ( I usualy biuld a stand/box blind ) I go in as soon as the present season is over and set it up .
Gives the deer a while to get some what use to it in there .
I normaly buld a blind in the garage in sections , wall, floor, roof, then tranport it in sections and set it up .
I loke mine 10 to 12 feet up .
I hunt thicker stuff so to high and I ,m not able to see ,
Make sure before you decide on a spot for your stand you consider why and when they will use that trail .
Remember travel patterns change , when the pressure is on they go for the thick stuff ,
Good luck ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.