Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Crunch, crunch, crunch

Old 12-16-2009, 09:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Crunch, crunch, crunch

It's gotten so cold here that any movement in the woods results in a crystal clear, sharp crunching sounds that seem to travel forever.

Yesterday I spied several nice deer bedded down but stalking them was out of the question. Sitting and waiting for them to move was the only option. All I got was COLD!

Hey atleast my truck didn't sink and get stuck like a few days ago when I had to be helped out.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

same thing here , frozen snow was so loud walking to my stand the otherday it ws giving ME a headache. i also dropped the top half of my climber on the bottom half which made a thunderous DING! about 5 minutes after I got up the tree, I had 4 does pass under my stand. Im only hunting about 40 acres so I know they must have heard all my noise, they were on a their way somewhere and my bumbling wasnt gonna stop them.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

It hurts sometimes to walk in those conditions. It's ingrained in us to be quiet when we're in the deer woods and every step is a pain when that CRUNCH echoes for a couple hundred yards, easily. LOL!

In that situation, I just try and get there much earlier to give time to let the wildlife settle down. Another thing is that when I get closer to my stand spot, I'll starting walking with a broken up pattern with stops and go's in there, hopefully to make myself sound like a deer. I had to do this very thing about 3 weeks ago. I got to the last 150 yards and started walking with the broken strides, stop, go, etc. Didn't see a thing. LOL!

Shame on people for getting cold. Take a back pack, bring something hot to drink, energy snacks and extra clothes. If you don't need them, great, but when you do get cold and need them, then "thank God!". LOL!

Good luck,

iSnipe
Old 12-16-2009, 12:13 PM
Fork Horn

I really like to be able to hear the deer. If you listen carefully, you can here them brushing through between trees, stepping on leaves....there's no feeling like sitting on pins and needles because you hear something and then see a deer emerge from the brush.

And then, a herd of hogs sounds like a stampede....
Old 12-16-2009, 01:08 PM
Fork Horn

true but cant throw on layer after layer after layer when you need to draw your bow!
Old 12-16-2009, 01:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Boy do I love that sound though...
Old 12-16-2009, 02:08 PM
Fork Horn

Man, being a Florida boy, I'm getting cold just reading this! LOL
Old 12-16-2009, 02:18 PM
Banned

i feel ya...if i have ta stalk in leaves, i just walk when the deer walks..when it looks, i am very still....one time we stared at each other fer 20 minutes...if i didnt have a watch, i'd be sayin it was an hour...after a bit..when it walked i would tooo, and a lil while later it dismissed me as a thret and i could get an xtra step in...same as you have 40 acres, and i went a lil too fast and scared him off tryin to beat him to the property line.(since my neighbor will lemme track on his land)..and he str8 busted me...so i took off runnin after him lol...long story short i gotta bunch of thorns and sticks to the face and i was real tired!!!lol no deer...he came back the next day on the cam