Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Will I see this deer again this season? >

Will I see this deer again this season?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Will I see this deer again this season?

Old 12-16-2009, 08:11 AM
Spike

Default Will I see this deer again this season?

It was about two weeks ago and a monster 12 pt. came in 30 yds from me and i shot and missed right under him and he ran towrds me and turned around and looked at where i had shot at him at and then ran off he didnt snort or anything like that just ran off soo do i have a chance at seeing this deer again?
Old 12-16-2009, 08:13 AM
Typical Buck

i think so, let the area "cool down" a bit before hunting it again, control your scent, and you may just do it...
Old 12-16-2009, 08:21 AM
Typical Buck

There is always a possibility. I wouldnt give up hope just yet.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

My first question is how did you miss him a 30 yards? My second question is why didn't you shoot a second time when he stopped? This is a firearm forum, so I assume you were shooting a gun, right? Odds are you won't see him again, but you never know. If they are still chasing does, you may see him again. Monster 12 points don't like to move around in daylight too often.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:14 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by superstrutter
My first question is how did you miss him a 30 yards? My second question is why didn't you shoot a second time when he stopped? This is a firearm forum, so I assume you were shooting a gun, right? Odds are you won't see him again, but you never know. If they are still chasing does, you may see him again. Monster 12 points don't like to move around in daylight too often.
Because mistakes happen to the best of us. I guarantee that if you have never missed that you will miss one day. I have seen just about everybody miss.. You cant always have a perfect shot
Old 12-16-2009, 11:33 AM
Typical Buck

superstrutter wasn't being critical I believe. He sure didn't say he never missed so let's save that whole rant that we've all heard.

Valid questions that I wondered myself. There's a bow forum so if was archery I'd think he would post there.

Feel bad for ya buck hunt. Might just boil down to good ole buck fever and you froze under pressure. That has happened to me so I ain't criticing. Just wondering.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Oh I have missed deer before, but very few with a gun, and especially not at 30 yards. I probably jumped the gun. There could have been variables that made him miss. Maybe he just had buck fever. My apologies. Keep after him. You never know, he may make another mistake.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:49 AM
Spike

I have taken bow and gun shots and missed only to see that same deer come back the same way he did to start out with the next morning. They do get spooked at the moment but then again that deer has no idea what it was. Hints why he stopped turned around to see what was going on.

Persistance pays off. If you see a deer do something or hang out somewhere most likely they will be right back there the next day.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:09 PM
Fork Horn

Years ago, I missed a pretty big buck and hunted him the rest of the season. I let my brother sit in my blind one morning....and he's hanging on my brother's wall now. Same season/same stand, 6 weeks seperation.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

You also have to factor in how much land he is hunting. If it's a small piece of land, the buck is probably just cruising through looking for does. If this is the case, then the odds are greater that he will never see that buck again. His "home" territory could be 3 miles or more away. I know if I see a nice buck on my property, that is usually the only time I will ever see that buck, so I need to make a quick decision. When you are hunting on a little under 200 acres, most of the bucks are just cruising through and will be gone before you know it. As for shooting at a deer, that is not a huge factor. They hear gunshots all the time. They don't know a bullet just missed them. If the buck is on his home turf, then he just may get another opportunity, but it is rare to see a buck of that caliber twice, at least it is where I hunt. Hell, I don't even see them once. Just remember, deer hunting is all about being at the right place at the right time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.