Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Shot a doe with muzzleloader she acted wierd >

Shot a doe with muzzleloader she acted wierd

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Shot a doe with muzzleloader she acted wierd

Old 12-15-2009, 05:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by iSnipe
Some "biologists" have claimed you can not hit a deer under the spine, but over the lungs to get a non-lethal hit.

Contrary to those thoughts, many hunters have stepped forward saying otherwise. It's said by the ones who have witnessed it, that one can shoot under the spine and miss the lungs. One incident a guy made a shot on a deer, but after hard trailing, couldn't find his deer. Don't recall if it was a neighbor or another hunting party, or him for that matter, but that deer was shot again later and found that there was an entrance and exit wound under the spine.

iSnipe
If it went under the spine in the thoratic cavity, it did not mis the lungs - it is physically impossible. It is rare, but possible for them to survive a high lung hit. There is no empty hole in the chest cavity.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

going to be hard tracking with no blood but where she ran was a thicket and that last few drops of blood I found was headed toward an old road where it gets pretty rough if she ran that way. Maybe she bedded down somewhere out there. Hopefully anyways.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:13 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Trapper_Hunter
going to be hard tracking with no blood but where she ran was a thicket and that last few drops of blood I found was headed toward an old road where it gets pretty rough if she ran that way. Maybe she bedded down somewhere out there. Hopefully anyways.
Do a grid search and look all over the place for a few hundred yards. I'm pretty sure she is dead.. I think you will find her.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Exclamation

Originally Posted by SteveBNy
If it went under the spine in the thoratic cavity, it did not mis the lungs - it is physically impossible. It is rare, but possible for them to survive a high lung hit. There is no empty hole in the chest cavity.
LOL!

That's EXACTLY what the biologists said after many hunters started to step up and prove they shot deer under the spine and got away. Deer eventually recovered by consequent shots later on were examined. Miss lungs or not, these deer survived and that's the point. How long they would have survived, long term, is debatable.

iSnipe
Old 12-15-2009, 11:52 PM
Fork Horn

Find the water source and you may find your deer! Not to mention deer tend to go low when wounded and seek cover.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by iSnipe
LOL!

That's EXACTLY what the biologists said after many hunters started to step up and prove they shot deer under the spine and got away. Deer eventually recovered by consequent shots later on were examined. Miss lungs or not, these deer survived and that's the point. How long they would have survived, long term, is debatable.

iSnipe
As far as I know, they always said it because it has always been true. Just more are believing it now instead of an old wives tales about a miracle void.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

SteveBNY,

Also, I didn't quite clearly explain my meaning, but I orig. meant a deer can take a shot under the spine, a pass through, and still survive. Whether it really went above the lungs wasn't my point of contention; only that hitting this spot and the deer still be able to live, has shown to be a possibility.

Whether it's impossible to hit under the spine and miss the lungs, this may be true. Point again being it's a vulnerable spot to hit for hunters because sometimes it's not fatal, immediately.

iSnipe
Old 12-16-2009, 04:51 AM
Typical Buck

i hope you find her, persistence will be key
Old 12-16-2009, 06:22 AM
Spike

Default same deal

The same thing happened to me 2 weeks ago.
Looked for about 6 hrs. ran out of blood.
never found her. BUMMER !
Old 12-16-2009, 06:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

any luck?
On the "Dead area" shot... i saw a small buck in NY this year who had a hole scabbed over on both sides from an arrow shot directly below spine, but above lungs.. .he was doing fine.. never seen that before.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.