Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Another Caliber

Old 12-15-2009, 10:03 AM
Spike

Default Another Caliber

I never hunted growing up (fishing was my deal), but my son wanted to hunt when he was friends with another kid who hunted! So I took it up about 12 years ago! Turns out I love it and really enjoy my time in the woods and around the camp, it has become a passion, though my son doesn't hunt much anymore!LOL
I have a couple of Browning 270's one wood stock that I use and a stainless/synthetic that I got for my son.

It's an awesome deer gun and I have been lucky and made good shots on each deer I have taken. I have three eight points (two mounted) and a bunch of does and a few sows, (good eats)!

I want another Gun, no good reason other than I like them, I mostly hunt in FL,Ga and Al, and I was looking for some suggestions. I was thinking of trading one of the 270's (maybe), and could spend up to
$ 2,500.00.

Thought you guys might enjoy this..... it's always fun to spend someone else's money!
Old 12-15-2009, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Perhaps a special purpose hog gun like a lever action Marlin in 45/70 or 450 Marlin. No real need for optics, but you could install a goo quality low-power fixed or variable and still have over half of your budget to spend.

Personally, I don't have a use for high-dollar guns. I like them as much as anyone else, but that's not a priority for me right now. My guns have to earn their keep in the woods.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:24 AM
Fork Horn

.270 is a solid, all around caliber to do about anything with short of big game. Before I had my house robbed in Sept 08, I had my Remington 700 in 7 Mag for most of my hunting but I had a .30-06 in an old school Remington 740 semi auto with a short barrel. Awesome gun, to be honest. I drilled an 11 point offhand at 120ish yds with it. the point was having the long cannon for set shots from stands and the much more portable and flexibly 30-06 for hogs or stalk/rattle hunting was a good set up for me.

As far as calibers go.../shrug. Depends on what you want to do. Do you want a gun you can take on big game hunts if you ever have a chance? Do you want something that just shoots straight and clean, not necassarily a cannon? .25-06 is pretty slick for that, IMO.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

So what would you like to use this gun (I'm assuming a rifle) for? Your .270's should kill anything down there just fine. If you are looking for something new, maybe look into a Kimber or Sako in .300wsm. Either would be very fine rifles, in an excellent caliber. Another option would be taking a used grade 3-5 Weatherby off someone looking to sell. Maybe in .257 weatherby?
Throw us some more information and I'm sure you will get a plethera of ideas from guys on here.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:38 AM
Spike

Don't get me wrong I really love the 270 as a deer gun, I just want another rifle or two.

Got a muzzle loader, an 12 Ga 870, and a 16 Ga Citori,was lucky enough to go to South Dakota, Mexico, and Argentina wing shooting!

I may go out west one of these days, for elk? so maybe 300 wsm?
I could probably get both for "about" $2500 and get a sweet shooting 25.06 or .257 also!
Old 12-15-2009, 10:48 AM
Fork Horn

Heh, that's part of the problem...a .270 is a solid 'medium sized' cartridge, so its not like toting around a cannon and wanting something different or the opposite and wanting a little more firepower than you have.

I guess the main thing would be to invest in a quality, accurate rifle no matter what caliber you decide upon.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd probably step up in size, since you already have a .270win, which is a great medium size deer type round...

step up to a magnum.... I think on the low end I'd choose a .300wsm all the way up to a .375H&H which is argued to be the most useable cartridge in the world....can hunt the world with it...

I think I'd strongly look at the...
.300 WSM or Win.Mag.
.300 RUM
.338 Win.Mag. (very versatile from deer to brown bear...and my pick/suggestion that you get)
.375H&H
Old 12-15-2009, 11:15 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by salukipv1
I'd probably step up in size, since you already have a .270win, which is a great medium size deer type round...

step up to a magnum.... I think on the low end I'd choose a .300wsm all the way up to a .375H&H which is argued to be the most useable cartridge in the world....can hunt the world with it...

I think I'd strongly look at the...
.300 WSM or Win.Mag.
.300 RUM
.338 Win.Mag. (very versatile from deer to brown bear...and my pick/suggestion that you get)
.375H&H

Man, I loved my 7 Mag....I love to have 5 min alone with the SOB's who broke into my house.....
Old 12-15-2009, 11:22 AM
Spike

Heres a second vote for the .338 win mag. If you're not worried about overkill you can deer hunt with it but also use it for any other north american big game, including brown bear and moose.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Weatherby Mark V Deluxe in .340 Weatherby Magnum.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.