Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
If ya can't hunt all day, morning or evening? >

If ya can't hunt all day, morning or evening?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

If ya can't hunt all day, morning or evening?

Old 12-15-2009, 04:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default If ya can't hunt all day, morning or evening?

Okay, I am basically going to have a couple of 4 or 5-hour windows in which to hunt. Of course, I'd prefer to make an entire day out of it. The good thing here is that I get to choose if I go out in the morning or the evening, and I can't decide. I may be hunting in an area I'm not completely familiar with, so I'm leaning towards evening so I can kinda scout around an hour or two before...hoping I don't stink up the place too much!! Or if I hunt in the morning, I can choose a spot based on a topographic map. Hmmmmm.....
Old 12-15-2009, 04:46 AM
Typical Buck

if i had to choose, evening hunt would be my first choice, you can scout on the way in, and also use it to your advantage for the next day, should you choose to hunt morning, looking for travel routes
Old 12-15-2009, 04:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

If it were me, I like the evening. But if you have any evidence on a trail camera that says morning, go with the best info you have. My cameras have deer moving better in the evening at our our place, so that's what I do until the cameras say different.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

For me, on my lease, i'd pick morning 100% of the time. I've seen my best bucks in the morning, and the most deer activity in the mornings. It mostly has to do with the lay of the land and where the food sources are in relation to my piece, but for me, the mornings are my favorite. In your case, I think you really can't go wrong either way, if you sit in the morning in a not-so-good spot, you will then be able to eliminate it for the next trip, and then scout on your way out, as opposed to scouting and then hunting, and having all that activity out there pre-hunt.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:24 AM
Fork Horn

Its going to depend on your deer in your area and their particular habits. For myself, I've seen both be productive, though in general, evening has always been better for me.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:32 AM
Typical Buck

Evening hunts work best for our property because the deer are in the food plots all morning between midnight up until first light. Going into that area would push those deer out because they would be feeding long before we would get there. In the evenings we can get in our stands and wait for the deer to come out and feed.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well if the area has good food sources I would hunt evenings, in WI after all the snow we had they are really digging in the fields before dark.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bowfly
if i had to choose, evening hunt would be my first choice, you can scout on the way in, and also use it to your advantage for the next day, should you choose to hunt morning, looking for travel routes

I agree with this post. If you havn't been to a spot, going in cold in the dark and picking a spot is tough. Do an evening hunt and scout the place to find a couple of future stands. Good Luck.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:46 AM
Spike

It depends not only on my schedule but the time of year. I generally like to hunt the evening during early season. especially with a bow. During the rut and when it is really cold I try to stay in the stand all day but prefer the morning hours.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

I once read an article on T-Times for hunting.....morning...then Ten to Twelve, then Two to Three, and evening....supposedly those are the four major movement periods during the day....

Anyway, morning or evening....depends on the day, warm days...I'd say mornings are better since you've had all night to cool down, on those days mornings will be cooler than evenings....but cold weather, perhaps the opposite......evenings would be warmer and more movement because its so cold.....

Another fact....is when hunting evenings, you have time to burn.....if you aim to get in the field 4hrs before sunset and are 30mins late, no big deal, but if youre morning hunting before the sun is up, hoping to be in your stand 30mins before sun up and you're 30mins late.....not so good...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.