Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunt alone ?

Old 12-15-2009, 09:50 AM
Spike

I almost always hunt alone and it is a concern: I hunt on property I own in the country where cell covereage is non-existent except on the top of the hill. Since I am getting up there (51) and there is a family history of heart problems (my Dad had a heart attack at 59), I anticipate one day not too many years from now when it will be a hazard to hunt alone.

Of course, there is also the possibility of accident since I hunt from ladder stands and a climbing stand. However, I am very careful to use a safety harness and use common sense.

One thing that reassures me is the fact that I work hard to be in good shape: if I walk 10-15 miles a week around home it is less probable that a heart attack will take place when I am away on a hunt.

I also am careful to let my wife know when I will be hunting and where I expect to be. I call in at lunchtime to let her know all is well.

On the other hand, since I am self-employed and can choose my hunting trips to take advantage of weather and fewer other hunters (and no one else that I know is in the same circumstances), I plan to continue to hunt alone for the time being. Maybe someday a better phone or emergency alert device will be available.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:01 AM
Fork Horn

Archery Solo. Gun hunting with Family. Always with a cell phone and my wife knows where I'm at.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt alone when I hunt out of a stand, but keep in touch with all of my hunting friends through texts. There are plenty of hunting buddies and family that know where all my stands are if something ever went wrong.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:24 PM
Typical Buck

99% I go solo. Only been out MAYBE 2 times this year with someone else.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:33 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt alone at least 85 percent of the time. So far 100% this year. I am new to MD as of 2 seasons ago and don't know a whole lot of people that hunt here, so I've hunted alone here in MD except for twice last year. I occasionally hunt at my parents in VA. I am in the tree by myself, but it's basically in their back year so I don't consider it being alone.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:43 PM
Typical Buck

Default Mostly alone

I hunt abought 80% of the time alone .
I hunt with a group of other friends when I go downstate , and once in a while with my son of a buddy .
I really sent cautious so probably one of my main reasons for it , Also hunting pressure is a biggy in my book ...
Old 12-15-2009, 01:47 PM
Typical Buck

It sounds like most of the guys here hunt alone! I never hunt alone. For deer I am pretty much with my dad or some of our friends, or for turkey with my friend (who is a far better shot than I)
Old 12-15-2009, 01:52 PM
Typical Buck

I hunt deer alone almost all of the time.
I hunt pigs alone depending on what ranch I'm hunting, but I always let the closest person to where I'm gonna be know so that if they haven't heard from me then they can come looking. (I've got a record with gettin charged by the darn things)
And I always sheep hunt with my dad, mostly because it's all rugged canyons with no cell phone coverage and it just doesn't make sense for me to go alone especially when he wants to go along to.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:41 PM
Fork Horn

Frequently alone, but I prefer company. My friends just are not able to get out on the spur of the moment like I can. It certainly affects whether I shoot at times..
I like to wander some big woods, and if I am by myself probably will not shoot a long way from the road. I try to make sure at least my wife knows the area I am in. (When I am alone, it is in area that I know very well, seldom hunted by others).
Old 12-15-2009, 03:56 PM
Fork Horn

I always hunt alone. I tend to be a bit anti-social to begin with, and I like my solitude while in the woods. (Though on public land it can be hard to find) My wife knows about where I'm at should I be too late getting out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.