Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Fat Deer?

Old 12-13-2009, 02:51 PM
Fork Horn

Default Fat Deer?

I process my own deer, and this question is for those of you that do the same.
This year in Oklahoma the weather has been unusually warm, we also had one heck of a crop of acorns.
Well, while processing my buck I found it to have an unusual amount of Fat! I thought well, just a good eater.
So when I processed my does I found they were really packed with fat as well, like 1/2" or so on their back by the tail. Not that it seemed too weird but they had more fat than I've seen in years!!
Keep in mind they are the same heard I've been hunting for the last 10 years and NOT being fed anything extra.
I've had some of the old timers say it's because it going to be one heck of a bad winter! I find it kind of strange seeing it's been real warm!

My question is.... Has anyone else noticed this happening and where are you located.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's happening because the deer are burning less fat trying to stay warm. They keep eating, but they don't burn the fat when the weather is warmer. I've had fatter deer here than what you are describing... 1/2" at the back. I've had 1"+.

iSnipe
Old 12-13-2009, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've seen a similar situation here in Indiana with great weather bumper crops of everything and mild weather up until 3 days ago,and more warm weather for a few days this week coming our way. My Bucks belly was full and he had quite a bit of fat like yours stored up.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:26 PM
Fork Horn

My buddy said the same thing about the deer he shot in Tn.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Same here in northern PA. My buck last year was also packed with fat.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:32 PM
Spike

Just talked to a buddy, Same in Illinois
Old 12-13-2009, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Same in Alabama.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:48 PM
Fork Horn

Kinda funny though... Same heard for the last 10 years and we have had even warmer weather in the past at this time of year.
makes you wonder if there is any fact to the " it's going to be a rough winter" theory.
Someone even said " if it comes in like a lamb it'll turn out to be a lion" meaning the winter of course.
Just wondered if it was area specific, 12 years ago we had a real warm winter and I woke up one morning (after hearing a weather report of 2" - 3") with 18" of snow!
Old 12-13-2009, 03:52 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by iSnipe
It's happening because the deer are burning less fat trying to stay warm. They keep eating, but they don't burn the fat when the weather is warmer. I've had fatter deer here than what you are describing... 1/2" at the back. I've had 1"+.

iSnipe
That seems logical, but it's been warmer and not as much fat on them.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:58 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by #1Predator
I process my own deer, and this question is for those of you that do the same.
This year in Oklahoma the weather has been unusually warm, we also had one heck of a crop of acorns.
Well, while processing my buck I found it to have an unusual amount of Fat! I thought well, just a good eater.
So when I processed my does I found they were really packed with fat as well, like 1/2" or so on their back by the tail. Not that it seemed too weird but they had more fat than I've seen in years!!
Keep in mind they are the same heard I've been hunting for the last 10 years and NOT being fed anything extra.
I've had some of the old timers say it's because it going to be one heck of a bad winter! I find it kind of strange seeing it's been real warm!

My question is.... Has anyone else noticed this happening and where are you located.
Al Gore said that deer fat is related to Climate Change.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.