Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Fat Deer?

Old 12-13-2009, 04:08 PM
Fork Horn

Same here in MO. It was very warm and rainy, THis was the first time I deer hunted in short sleeves.
Old 12-13-2009, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

We don't have oaks on our property but we had a bumper crop of beech nuts this year. Plus, a lot of rain and everything in the woods was lush and green all spring and summer. The deer ate good this year.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Question

Originally Posted by #1Predator

while processing my buck I found it to have an unusual amount of Fat!... "does...they were really packed with fat as well"
iSnipe

It's happening because the deer are burning less fat trying to stay warm. They keep eating, but they don't burn the fat when the weather is warmer. I've had fatter deer here than what you are describing... 1/2" at the back. I've had 1"+.
Originally Posted by #1Predator

That seems logical, but it's been warmer and not as much fat on them.
Ok, what's with the contradiction?

iSnipe
Old 12-13-2009, 09:16 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by teedub31
al gore said that deer fat is related to climate change.
damn that global warming!!!
Old 12-14-2009, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

A deer I shot in the first week of October was fat.

I have a small buck to butcher this weekend and field dressing revealed a lot of fat internally. I'll be interested to see him once he's skinned.

We didn't seem to have a great acorn crop, but our rain was more or less every two or three days from spring to fall. Fall was warm. I think the rain may have had two effects. One was simply to make every thing plush. The other was that around here there were tremendous amounts of standing crops that the farmers couldn't get to because of mud. One of the farmers I talked to said they were a month behind. There was a lot food available that would not have been otherwise.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:59 PM
Typical Buck

my archery doe this year in PA on the opening day (1st saturday in october) had a lot of fat on her, especially early in the season

my rifle doe last saturday had hardly any fat on her, we surmised she was being run about, was burning it off, or just didn't enjoy the summer crops as much...these deer were only about a year apart
Old 12-14-2009, 02:44 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by iSnipe
Ok, what's with the contradiction?

iSnipe
I meant that there have been years in the past that have been warmer and the deer didn't have as much fat on them.