Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

First Shot From Stand,Short

Old 12-13-2009, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Red face First Shot From Stand,Short

I took my first shot at a Doe from my Tree Stand,18 yards out,20 feet up the arrow went under her,never touched a thing. I aimed at the heart but I guess that is not the place to aim when your shooting from 20+ feet high. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.It was an exciting day of hunting none the less with 3 Does spoted in the morning and 3 that evening. I had a shot on the last one in the group of 3 in the evening but as I said I missed. They skirted me in the morning at the spot where I got my Buck last week,I heard them to my left about 40 yards saw one of them looking my way before they passed by.I guess thats what you call geting busted! I will practice shooting from up high this week and try to figure out the adjustments from the different angles. Much advice desired from all who can help this rookie to be a better shooter. Thanks
Old 12-13-2009, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I gave up bowhuntin.When u go to shoot 1,aim alittle higher.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Most likely just made a bad shot due to nerves.

People also shoot high because you are at an elevated position and if you are shooting at any distance or the angle is severe, high shots are common. Also, dropping your bow arm at a severe downward angle when aiming can also cause high shots. One common thing you see people tell each other is to bend at the waist when you are shooting to keep your form more in alignment. However, try bending at the waist when the deer is below your stand. LOL! You get a little top heavy and want to fall over! It's best to just practice shooting downward shots and you'll learn where your arrows land in reference to the distance and angle you are shooting. When I practiced, I have a tree in the back yard I would shoot from. I have a lawn mower frame that the buck target would stand on, then it can be pushed around in different spots, yardages and angles.

Originally Posted by doetrain

I will practice shooting from up high this week
Great idea!

iSnipe
Old 12-13-2009, 03:24 PM
G92
Fork Horn

Practice ,Practice ,Practice. I missed one this year cuz i rushed the shot.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:55 PM
Typical Buck

you can't rush the shot or you will miss 90 percent of the time.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:50 PM
Fork Horn

practice from a treestand! best thing
Old 12-14-2009, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Got up close to the hight and the distance out from which I missed my Doe saturday and hit kill zone shots all but 2 out of 20 shots. I think most of you were right nerves and just a bad shot which I did rush. I'll take your advice,practice,practice ,practice!
Old 12-14-2009, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by doetrain
Got up close to the hight and the distance out from which I missed my Doe saturday and hit kill zone shots all but 2 out of 20 shots. I think most of you were right nerves and just a bad shot which I did rush. I'll take your advice,practice,practice ,practice!
See, you are human!

We ALL get nervous during the moment. It's that rush of adrenaline... best drug out there. LOL! I'm an adrenaline junkie myself!

Next time you're about to shoot, do not think about missing... do not think about hitting. Don't even think about aiming.

Only think about that one little spot you are about to hit when you release the arrow.

Thinking about hitting or missing during the moment doesn't help. Aiming comes natural so no need to think about that. Only be focused what you are there for, and that is where the arrow "will" land. When you release, picture the arrow flying to the very spot you picked out.

Good luck,

iSnipe
Old 12-15-2009, 06:07 AM
Typical Buck

I think the ol saying "aim small,miss small" applies here. Relax and hold through your shot. Sounds to me like you probably were looking to see where you hit and dropped your arm instead of holding through the shot-everyones done it so dont feel too bad about it. Holding through the shot is always easier said than done!!
Old 12-15-2009, 06:59 AM
Fork Horn

Sounds like you dropped your arm. I have actually thrown an arrow way left because I started moving the bow out of my line of vision to see the arrow.

You'll get'm next time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.