Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Looking for a debate on "cull" bucks >

Looking for a debate on "cull" bucks

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Looking for a debate on "cull" bucks

Old 12-13-2009, 12:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by iSnipe

This happens no matter your thoughts on it.
Originally Posted by rogerstv

No sh1t sherlock I am not trying to stop it.
You ask for a debate, as it says in YOUR TITLE and you get replies you don't like, so you talk crap to the people that reply?

Whatever.

iSnipe

Last edited by iSnipe; 12-13-2009 at 11:42 AM.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

. What I am trying to learn is..... Does it pay off in other states? I believe in Illinois and other row crop states that it probably doesn't. Can properties/ranches have so many bucks that dropping the ones that are percieved to be of lesser quality, deer with bigger racks will result? Guess I am just tired of hearing about it so much. Call it filling a tag or call it culling. But, don't use the "tone" like it is beneficial to the herd.

Doesnt matter what state, yes it works. Its just very hard to do in open country, free ranging deer, everyone and I mean every single hunter in the area would have to go by a set of rules.
On a high fence situation its much easier.
I just got back from a 1500 acre high fence ranch, 7 years ago when the fence went up there were few deer, this week theyre everywhere and I mean busting out the seams. So now he will start shooting deer to reduce the herd, old deer will go, older bucks with weak racks will go. the numbers have to be reduced. when you take out the culls, not only do you remove the genetics, you leave more nutrition for the younger bucks who show potential.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

As stated in an earlier post, it depends on the individual and location. I understand the concept on very large hunting ranches of 200,000 acres or more, (can't speak to fenced hunting, never done it and don't plan to) for the individuals that are in the business of selling the hunts. "Deer and Deer Hunter", had a great episode on this topic. It discussed how a mature whitetail follows his nose during the fall so unless you have 100,000 or more cared for personal hunting acres, the chances of you seeing the same 2 1/2 year old buck as a 3 1/2 the next year are slim. Nature rather than hunters usually takes care of this. That 2 1/2 year buck will want to breed and if there are larger more agreesive bucks in his area, he will keep moving till he believes he has a chance to breed. This may be miles and miles away from where you saw him as a 2 1/2 year old. I hunt up north where the deer/acre is tons less than down in the states. I have found that if you can pattern a big buck (getting on him in the first place is another thing), usually your chances of killing him are better the following year (as long as he survives, hunting season, winter, nature, etc.). Now I'm speaking to hunting public land of a 30-40 sq. mile area (only saw 4 hunters up there this year and 2 were real old guys that were just sitting in their truck waiting to see if something would cross an old logging road). No farmland, no food plots, no grazing fields, just solid boreal forest. You don't see many deer but they are big, they have to be to survive. I've got 4 chances a year at one of the monsters (archery, ML, rifle, second deer lic.). But it is, as always with me, it is freezer first. I'm not going to pass an a doe or small buck waiting for that buck of a lifetime. I am simply a guy, hunting a large area, being a predator (no different than the large pack of wolves that also live in this same area). Trying to "cull" in this situation would be silly.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:52 AM
Banned

If everyone was able to shoot monsters, who would give a crap about them anymore? When you see the fn deer ranches, the big ones are trained just like cattle. What is more impressive, a 160+ buck off public land or the same buck on a ranch. That's what I thought. There was a time when shooting big bucks actually meant something. Now its status quot. When 12 year old girls are sitting in outhouses with a film crew shooting deer it kinda takes the sting out of a 12 pointer, don't it.

Of course, what most don't realize is that the worst piece of meat you can put on the table comes from an old buck. Schmuck.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by vabyrd
Of course, what most don't realize is that the worst piece of meat you can put on the table comes from an old buck. Schmuck.

hehehehe, true so true