Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Thinking of hunting with two guns... >

Thinking of hunting with two guns...

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Thinking of hunting with two guns...

Old 12-11-2009, 04:40 AM
Fork Horn

Centaur 1 and Spaniel are dead on....IMO buckshot is a joke and tends to wound more deer then its worth....Im sure someone will post how they have killed dozens with it. Its great for coyotes...but thats about it.

There is a reason its outlawed in as many states as it is.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the replies all. I'll get back to you all with my thoughts ASAP, which will probably be lengthy, but my job right now is to go to BED so I can get my arse up at 3am to do what we all love to do (got a bit of a drive and need to be in the woods by 5:15...and it's gonna be COLD!!).
Old 12-12-2009, 11:13 PM
Fork Horn

I have killed dozens of deer with buckshot in clearcuts, but that is not why I am responding. Those particular leases, were buckshot only, so I had no choice.

Most hunters just don't know how to use it.
Actually, it can be like bird hunting.
You still have to lead the animal. Shoot where it's going, not where it's been.
I think most hunters just point and shoot like the pellets are magically going to hit the target. And they might hit it, just in the butt.
You have to know your pattern too, not just grabbing a smoothbore, and banging out some buckshot.
I use an A-5 24" cylinder smoothbore with rifled sights. It patterns 00buck better than my 28" modified 1200 Winchester.

Also, you have to know distance...fast.
Too many 40+yd, pray and spray types out there.

As far as taking two guns, if I were in a large tree-house stand, all day, I might take two guns. Overall though, its just too much to keep up with. Thats why I always chose a smoothbore for my shotgun only hunts. They are more versatile for me.
I don't plan on any 100+ yard slug shots, in the woods anyway.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Okay...my thoughts on some of the posts here...

As to buckshot not being effective or lethal, I have to disagree just using my own limited experience. If it is patterned correctly, it can be devastating. My choke will put 9 out of 9 pellets in 6-inch circle at 25 yards and 9 of 9 in a 10-inch circle at 40 yards. That will most certainly do the job, and has.

As to there being no advantage to using buckshot over a single projectile at a quickly moving deer, I disagree there as well. Having a 6 to 10-inch spread to work with in the vitals area is a huge advantage, IMO. If you're slightly high, low or to the rear with a single projectile, you could be looking at a huge tracking job or a lost deer. That same shot with buckshot would be a heart or lung shot.

As to not taking (running) shots at deer being spooked from their cover, I can agree and disagree, depending on the situation. If it is a broadside shot between out to 30 or 40 yards, there is no reason not to take the shot, IMO. The deer is JUST beginning to run, they're not at full speed, and if they are broadside, well, that's just what you want. Now if they're quartered hard or facing away, I definitely wouldn't take the shot. I wouldn't just shoot in hopes of hitting part of the deer, so let's get that one out of the way.

As to shooting buckshot at quickly moving deer not being ideal, quickest, most humane way to take a deer, I can agree with that. However, you have to look at things in context. NORMALLY, I would not use buckshot because for me, it would never be necessary. I'd be in my bind waiting for an excellent shot at a deer I want to take. I want that deer to go down hard and not get up (but I want to reemphasize that CAN happen with buckshot!!). So I'll use a .308 or a 12ga slug. But in the context of this/these hunts, they are POPULATION CONTROL hunts. The DCR/DMAP is telling the hunters in these special hunts to KILL AS MANY DOES AS POSSIBLE. Now, that doesn't mean to me you should take unethical shots...not by any means. However, it changes things up a bit as to what kind of shots I'm will take vs. what I would normally take. You have to think, WHY are they telling us to kill as many as does as possible? What are the ramifications of an out of control deer population? Starvation. Malnutrition. Mamed, suffering or slow-dying deer that got away from a motor vehicle accident. Humans getting killed or seriously injured from motor vehicle accidents. And I'm sure there are many more. So, in a case where I'm hunting for reasons of population control, there ARE certain risks I'm willing to take that I normally wouldn't. And one would be taking a good shot at a spooked deer with buckshot.

Last edited by 7.62NATO; 12-14-2009 at 12:31 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:17 PM
Spike

You said you were carrying a shotgun with slugs in it right?? put in one or two buckshot then a slug and you can shoot at close running deer or if its further away you can take out the buckshot and shoot with the slugs...thats what I do.
Justin
Old 12-14-2009, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mainebuckslayer
You said you were carrying a shotgun with slugs in it right?? put in one or two buckshot then a slug and you can shoot at close running deer or if its further away you can take out the buckshot and shoot with the slugs...thats what I do.
Justin
I had a slug gun...rifled barrel. But even if I were carrying a smoothbore, if I were to unload buckshot to put slugs in, I'd get busted from the noise. At least with a pump action.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always bring two guns when I go on hunting trips to other states, example; Kansas. I always have a short range gun for shots 100-200 yards. It would be a gun that I could use for doing short pushes or drives as well. And I also bring a long range gun. Something that I can easily shoot 300-500 yards. I have not carried both guns at the same time though.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:55 AM
Spike

Trust me you can fling out the other shells plenty quick. Or atleast I can. or you can do it slowly and quitely. oil up your gun well and it shouldnt make much noise.
Justin
Old 12-15-2009, 05:00 AM
Spike

I was just thinking about what you said about your not being able to take out the other shells. Well suppose you have your 2 guns with you and you see a deer at 100 yards just standing there while you have your buckshot gun in hand. Now you have to set down your back pack and take out your other gun and load it cause it shouldnt but loaded on your back pack and then shoot. That would involve way more noise than just cycling the gun. Just my thoughts
Justin
Old 12-15-2009, 05:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

That's why I would have a slug in the chamber, followed by buckshot...If a deer got up, I'd have a close shot for the slug, then followup with buckshot...If the dogs were running, I could slip the slug out and use buckshot...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.