Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Your first gun and your first deer. >

Your first gun and your first deer.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Your first gun and your first deer.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:33 PM
Spike

Some awesome story's everyone! Back in 04' I'd say, I got a doe. I had been walking a path with a cousin toward dawn and he stopped me, and told me to look on the ridge there was a doe, I didn't see it for about 2 minutes as it stood there and stared at me till I droped it. Shot was horrible as it ran over the ridge and dropped on the other side, i was still REALLY happy!
Edit: I was hunting with my pop's 30-30. The year after I upgraded to his .35, Now I own my own 30-06!

Last edited by Picc.Dc4; 12-08-2009 at 09:53 PM.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

First deer I just halfway killed. Someone else ended up actually killing it. Biggest deer I've ever shot too. I was hunting with a group that hunts with dogs when I was probably 15 or so. They called me out of the woods. When I got almost to the truck the guy I hunt with told me to go back into the woods as he realized after he told me to come out that he had messed up. I took off running back into the woods as fast as I could. A big 9 pointer ran by me so probably 5-10 yards in front of me. I stopped as fast as I could and shot him twice in the side with buckshot. He kept on going but I knew I had hit him pretty good. Probably the best shot and closest I've ever had with a shotgun. He ran another 15 yards or so and the guy I hunt with had moved into the edge of the woods. When the deer made it to the edge of the woods he shot it in the front area. It ran another 15 yards or so and died. He said it was also the biggest deer he had killed and he had been hunting for quite a long time. When we skinned it we saw where I had shot it and the whole side was filled with buckshot pellets. Then he had hit it right in the chest area from the front. I'm not sure that it wouldn't have died shortly after had he not shot it but it may not have. Either way I'm at least glad one of us got it not one of the others in the group.

The first deer I actually got by myself was a 8 pointer that was pretty big but no where near as big as that 9 pointer. I shot it at 136 yards with a muzzle loader. I had gotten in the stand right around lunch time. I sat there eating pork rines making all kinds of noise. After about 30 minutes of sitting there this guy walked out. I shot him right in the lungs and he made it about 15 yards right into the edge of the woods.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

My first gun was for my 10th birthday, it was a 20ga. Ithaca deerslayer and I still have it. my first deer was a spike, took that with a 12ga. Ithaca deerslayer
Old 12-09-2009, 05:07 AM
Fork Horn

I shot my first rifle deer with a remington 7400 when I was 14. I remember shooting it at last light sitting next to my dad and it was a nice 8 point. I put a bad hit on it a gut shot and we found hardly any blood. We backed out after looking a little while and I had to go to school the next day. I remember that day like it was yesterday I was so antsy Iand kept looking at my phone in my pocket under the desk to see if my dad had called because he was going to search for it while I was in school. 1 o clock rolled around and he calls me and tells me the good news and about how proud he was of me. I was going crazy telling everyone even though they really didnt care because there all non hunters mostly lol, i didnt care I kept pouring my excitement out to them anyway. I got home and the deer was hanging from the tree I walked up to it with amazement because I had shot a truly gorgeous trophy. He was hung on the side of the house so I kept the flood light on all night and dont think I got an ounce of sleep I just sat there staring out the window at it saying to myself you did it you shot a big one with a smile from ear to ear
Old 12-09-2009, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shot my first deer (doe) when I was 12. I shot her with a Remington 1100 12 gauge with 00 buckshot and she dropped in her tracks at 40 yds. I think my dad was happier than I was...
Old 12-09-2009, 05:54 AM
Fork Horn

My first deer (doe)was when i was 11 with my dads 308 dropped it right in its tracks
Old 12-09-2009, 06:04 AM
Spike

I was a freshman in college. I shot a doe at 30 yards with my remington 870. I took her to the check in station, they aged her and said she was at least 7 years old.I was proud as could be.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

was a doe and was usin a sears/roebuck lever action 35 remi....she went 3 steps and crashed!!!i was hooked fer life
Old 12-09-2009, 07:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

Bought my first deer rifle, a Remington 742 .30-06 with a 3-9X Bushnell Banner scope when I was 16. Lived in Illinois at the time, but, figured I'd need a deer rifle eventually... School, career and family obligations left me with virtually no time for hunting until 1997, the day after my 40th birthday. By that time, my Remmy 742 (along with my first gun, a 20 ga. Win. 370 Jr., my 12 ga. Rem. 870, my grandfather's bolt action Rem .22, my dad's Marlin 16 ga bolt action, and my brother's Marlin 60) had been stolen from my house. My beautiful wife had since bought me a laminate stocked Remington 700 ADL .30-06, with a 3-9X Redfield Tracker scope. My first deer was a 6 1/2 year old 8 point with a 19" inside spread, taken from a box blind at a range of 115 yards. I have since taken a variety of deer with a 700 ADL .243, a 700 BDL 7mm Rem. Mag, and this year, I hope to tag a couple with my new 700 ADL 7mm-08...
Old 12-09-2009, 07:58 AM
G92
Fork Horn

i have never shot a deer with my gun.but i killed my first deer this year (a spike) with my bow (martin sabre).shot him at 35 yards (downhill) sitting on the ground ,he ran 40 yards before falling over.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.