Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ethics question

Old 12-11-2009, 06:52 AM
Fork Horn

Whoa wait....the got LAWS in WV???

All the years I ever hunted that state seemed like gun season was 24x7 and dogs, cats, goldfish and automatic weapons were legal
Old 12-11-2009, 07:37 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bigcountry
No law listed in WV that says that sorry to inform you. In fact, land in WV doesn't have to be posted, a fense will suffice.
I checked also and I geuss they have changed it! Good to know,but most land owners I know wouldn't have a problem with you retreiving and would most likely even help,but you always got to have one in the bunch that will be an a-hole!
Old 12-11-2009, 07:47 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by wvnimrod
I checked also and I geuss they have changed it! Good to know,but most land owners I know wouldn't have a problem with you retreiving and would most likely even help,but you always got to have one in the bunch that will be an a-hole!
and besides, a fist fight is still an accepted form of settling a trespassing offense in WV.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I asked you a simple question first fork. I know the most likely answer. If you want respect, you got to give it. It works both ways.
True. It's also a courtesy in discussions to show that a question's relevant so the responder doesn't waste his time responding to a question that doesn't matter.

In the interest of cordiality, the answer is that nobody knows what they would have done--David's anointed as the future king, and not a beggar, and that might mean he was treated differently. What they OUGHT to do is obvious and that's give the showbread to the starving man on the basis that it's about human need.

That underlying principle is certainly relevant to the question of pursuing game on to another's land. Law exists to meet human need. The problem here is that the hunter isn't the authority empowered to make the decision in that particular community, and if he takes that action on his own, it damages society's attempt to create needed security, order, protect property, etc. If we arbitrarily pursue against the wishes of the law, we create a situation that potentially allows any kind of trespassing. All one has to do is say they're pursuing wounded game. However a state or community decides, it's very important to do it as they say.

The person not allowing the pursuit sounds like an ordinary (if obnoxious) landowner, but he may have very valid reasons for not allowing pursuit. I'll give you a real example of another situation: I hunt an area that borders a juvenile detention facility. A hunter chasing wounded deer onto property like that is causing a big problem for security. Same for someone pursuing wounded game onto land bordering a power plant or some other such facility.

Again, pursuit at minimum needs to be done in the way the community says to do it. The common good is what's at stake.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:56 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by Father Forkhorn
In the interest of cordiality, the answer is that nobody knows what they would have done--David's anointed as the future king, and not a beggar, and that might mean he was treated differently. What they OUGHT to do is obvious and that's give the showbread to the starving man on the basis that it's about human need.
Point is, the priests were notoriously heavy handed when it came to anything pertaining to the temple. In most cases they had to be. Just touching the ark killed people in the past. Everything there was supposed to be holy. According to Jewish scholars I have talked to, the starving man would have faced anything from beating, to death. So when you say old test law is not the same as civil law, I beg to differ. The preists were the movers and shakers at this time. They drove civil laws. I mean all one has to do is go thru Leviticus and understand this. They even explain how to take care of animals, what do do with an animal gores someone, etc, on and on. Very detailed on civil law. David was ordained by God. So maybe your right. Christ felt the need to inform the pharasees that his disciples breaking heads of grain to eat was not sinning. Even though pharasees were the civil law keepers. I mean these cats could throw you out of a village for having a sore on your head where the the hair was white in the middle. Maybe the pharasees where thinking same as you, that the disciples breaking the heads of grain could lead to anarchy.

That underlying principle is certainly relevant to the question of pursuing game on to another's land. Law exists to meet human need. The problem here is that the hunter isn't the authority empowered to make the decision in that particular community, and if he takes that action on his own, it damages society's attempt to create needed security, order, protect property, etc. If we arbitrarily pursue against the wishes of the law, we create a situation that potentially allows any kind of trespassing. All one has to do is say they're pursuing wounded game. However a state or community decides, it's very important to do it as they say. .
Good news in 90% of the cases, it means nothing. So civil law is safe. Meaning, most of the time, most of the land owners are civil and logical. So I feel your worry about anarchy can be calmed. The other 5% give or take, well, a huge portion of that can be dealt with by first contacting the land owners before hand and working it out face to face. Its the small piece that is troublesome. Where you are up against civil disobedience or feeling horrible that you let a deer go to waste.

The person not allowing the pursuit sounds like an ordinary (if obnoxious) landowner, but he may have very valid reasons for not allowing pursuit. I'll give you a real example of another situation: I hunt an area that borders a juvenile detention facility. A hunter chasing wounded deer onto property like that is causing a big problem for security. Same for someone pursuing wounded game onto land bordering a power plant or some other such facility.
I agree, as with a previous posts where I talked about hunting beside camp david, a very secure facility. If a deer managed to cross the monster fence, well, I am just going to have to feel bad about not getting a better hit on that deer. Cause I am not facing the honor guard marines to explain about deer waste.

Again, pursuit at minimum needs to be done in the way the community says to do it. The common good is what's at stake.
I agree. Its the small percentages where its actually an issue. Respect for land owners and others go a long way.

I was tracking a gut shot doe 4 years ago and called an old man who owned the land via cell phone. He acted like I was silly for asking him if I could track it. Said he wished I would kill em all to quit eating his corn. But that call got me access to hunting his land with permit in hand.

Last edited by bigcountry; 12-11-2009 at 09:00 AM.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:04 AM
Typical Buck

This thread is all over the place, so I lost track, who shot the deer? King David or the starving man?
Old 12-11-2009, 12:45 PM
Spike

You can't leave us hangin. Go on, so a horse walks in a bar. .........
and the bartender says to the horse......
Old 12-11-2009, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

o.k. I'll bite.

A pirate walks in a bar with a steering wheel sticking out of his pants.

The bartender says "Hey, do you know you have a steering wheel sticking out of your pants?"

The pirate looks at him and says "Arrrr, yeah and it's driving me nuts!". Get it?

The joke is best told on national talk like a pirate day!
Old 12-11-2009, 01:33 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by rogerstv
o.k. I'll bite.

A pirate walks in a bar with a steering wheel sticking out of his pants.

The bartender says "Hey, do you know you have a steering wheel sticking out of your pants?"

The pirate looks at him and says "Arrrr, yeah and it's driving me nuts!". Get it?

The joke is best told on national talk like a pirate day!
Good chuckle for the day.

Old 12-11-2009, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why would you be curious? He addresses himself as father. Kinda a dead giveaway. Second, he tells me I quote

"Some serious biblical sholarship on this passage would benefit you"

And then "What I am is someone whose occupation requires him to be knowledgeable of what experts are saying "

I am not sure about your neck of the woods snipe, but its 100% clear in mine. For someone to recongize the need for biblical scholarship, well they would have to assume they are. I sure didn't take it negatively. I am sure he is a believer in Christ. He beleives a certain level of intelligence in himself, and I believe what the Word of God says to me. No, I am not a bible scholar as he. I bet catholics worst nightmare was when Martin Luther translated the bible to something ordinary man could read. I can't and don't recommend anyone go off what another man says, no matter if its Billy Graham or the pope. We got the book, just read it. Meditate on it, hear God's word. And we are going to be wrong a few times. Or most of the time. We got grace. Everybody has an individual walk with Christ. Fork can't expect me to be on the exact walk he is on and neither can I expect him too. This is not a put down for fork by the way. The man I am sure is well learned in what scholars say. Much more than I will ever be.

Paul puts wisdom in perspective for us in 1 Corinthians 1. Remember the Pharasees were the most educated at the time. Scholars abound. Just sayin.

But I agree with other posters. Its getting to the point where this conversation does not belong in this post.
Well, I appreciate the lengthy reply, but I was hoping you would just point out what you thought he said that was self-proclaiming, because I didn't pick that up. But I can see how you did from the first part of your reply. I was curious because I didn't get the same interpretation and was wondering what he said that you'd get that idea.

Some people are masters at coming up with stuff or interpreting things that are nothing close to what was actually said and I thought maybe you were doing something similar. Your reply here doesn't get me to think that.

iSnipe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.