Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Buckshot effectiveness

Old 12-11-2009, 08:10 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks big Country I appreciate you helping me out. I planned on patterning the gun before my trip. My friend said he didn't use a choke, just wanted to get it right.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by X Factor
9. Do not act like you know what you are talking about,when you do not.

10. Someone will call you on it.

11. Dry the tears and carry on,steeped with accurate intel
So the great one has finally arrived to the HNI forums....welcome X, we ALL will just throw our keyboards away... for we dont need them anymore. We will sit and wait with great anticipation for you to post all things correct in the outdoor world.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by X Factor
singlecam,

Good call.
Since your new here, let me just tell you how it is around here...yes, its true, somebody knows something you don't....its fine to get in a "debate" here, but when you start mocking people and $hit like that, YOU will be called out on it, and if that doesnt fix it, YOU will be banned by a Mod. So you think Im bluffing? Keep acting like a 10 year old and see for yourself.

Kudos
Old 12-11-2009, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Big chunk of lead, moving slowly. It obliterates it's target!
Is there something good about a slow moving bullet?

It seems like every time this topic is brought up, half the people like the results of buckshot and half the people don't like it.

So.....if you use buckshot, you have a 50% chance at a favorable outcome. And, conversely, a 50% chance at a poor outcome. That's just statistics
Old 12-11-2009, 10:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by solocamcan
Since your new here, let me just tell you how it is around here...yes, its true, somebody knows something you don't....its fine to get in a "debate" here, but when you start mocking people and $hit like that, YOU will be called out on it, and if that doesnt fix it, YOU will be banned by a Mod. So you think Im bluffing? Keep acting like a 10 year old and see for yourself.

Kudos
He's been banned no less than 8 times already....wish they wouldn't the dude knows his stuff, just comes across the wrong way...
Old 12-11-2009, 10:34 AM
Fork Horn

A knowlegable @sshole??
Old 12-11-2009, 11:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Woodrow88
A knowlegable @sshole??
Well said!
Old 12-15-2009, 10:06 AM
Typical Buck

On the question of what choke to use with buckshot: In my 870, Mod or Imp. was fine. Full didn't seem to improve patterns like I'd expected.

I hunted a club were we ran dogs for several years. Shot a lot of deer with buckshot. I found that the plated/buffered shot patterned best; I preferred Win Supreme in 00 and 000.

Get some flipchart paper, pace off 20 yards, shoot. Do same at 25, 30, 35. You'll see the diff. On my shotgun, pattern starts spreading pretty thin after thirty yards or so, if memory serves.

At 25 yards, buckshot is deadly. Pretty good in the 30 yard range, broadside shot is best. Past that - over 40ish? - effectiveness plummets. Pattern you shotgun, remember it's a short-range proposition.

Good hunting!