Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
making a living in the outdoor? >

making a living in the outdoor?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

making a living in the outdoor?

Old 12-06-2009, 11:35 PM
Spike

As far as those guys who hunt on the Tv shows. Does anyone know how they got that opportunity? For an example. Did Michale Waddale just happen to know Bill Jordan or did he apply for the job?
Old 12-07-2009, 04:50 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by MISwampDog
One thing I haven't read yet is if you get into the police aspect of the outdoors you may as well give up hunting. Being a regular city cop or a consercation officer you are either working all the time and don't get to hunt or you are working every day during the deer season. Trust me on this one. I know what I am talking about.
Totally agree on this! The opposite can be true if you find the right job like a guy I know that works for the state. He helps landowners set up their land for the Managed Forest Law (MFL) program in Wisconsin. In exchange for tax breaks, MFL land is open to the public for hunting. So this guy is able to do his scouting while he's setting up the land for the program (cruising timber, etc). What a sweet deal! Needless to say, the bugger seems to have a primo hunting spot every year...I'm totally jealous because I can't hunt the stands that I manage (they're tribal).
Old 12-07-2009, 12:52 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by wolfman73
As far as those guys who hunt on the Tv shows. Does anyone know how they got that opportunity? For an example. Did Michale Waddale just happen to know Bill Jordan or did he apply for the job?
they probably crossed paths somewhere along the way. im sure both of them worked to make themselves a brand. you meet the right people that way.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:39 PM
Fork Horn

True about working outdoors. It's is work and not always fun. As an outfitter and guide I spend all the hunting seasons every year dealing with people more than hunting. I love scouting land and stand sites and meeting new hunters. I don't mind helping them secure lodging and tags and picking them up at airports and showing them my leases and walking some of them to stands in the early mornings. Going out after dark to haul in deer in bad weather sucks, but I like to see their deer and know when and where they got him. I don't sleep deer season anyway so a couple weeks not sleeping and working full time plus hunting is normal. But I hate that I do all this work for them, so that they have a great hunt and I seldom have time to hunt. I am happy for them when they tag turkeys and huge deer, and proud that I did my job well. But a little jealous still when they get to have all the fun while I work. The compensation of coarse is cash for me, but I wonder sometimes if it's worth it. My goal now is to hire more guides an be able to quit my 9-5 someday to take the pressure off me, so I can hunt more. But first there has to be enough money.

So if you love to hunt, don't pick a hunting job or any job that makes you unavailable to hunt. Take a job, any job that allows you the time and money to hunt.