Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
making a living in the outdoor? >

making a living in the outdoor?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

making a living in the outdoor?

Old 12-06-2009, 05:28 AM
Typical Buck

I agree with isnipe, a forester works with the harvesting of trees and soil erosion, making sure forests are properly growing/managed. Also, a wildlife biologist. They study all the habits of animals.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:55 AM
Spike

thank for all the responses, anyone have a job in the outdoors, they could give me details about what they do?
Old 12-06-2009, 10:13 AM
Fork Horn

I wish I could say I made a living outdoors and I do make a good supplemental income as an outfitter, but I still have to work 40 hrs too. If I get my wish I will be hunting and fishing for a living in the next ten years.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:32 AM
Spike

what do outfitters do
Old 12-06-2009, 02:32 PM
Spike

game warden
State Park Police
conservation officer
park ranger
wildlife biologist

what i have it narrowed to
Old 12-06-2009, 02:53 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by USMCThomas
thank for all the responses, anyone have a job in the outdoors, they could give me details about what they do?
I'm a forester. My responsibilities include writing and implementing management plans for the management of forests. This includes setting up and administrating timber sales, cruising timber (estimating the volume of timber in a stand), an understanding of soils, wildlife, and plant communities. I also work with the public in communicating what we do and dispelling common misconceptions about what forestry is and isn't. I'm also qualified to fight forest fires and work with prescribed fire (intentional burning for management purposes), and depending on where you work, this can be either a seasonal or full-time job.

I spend a great deal of time outdoors...and it's definitely work (ie. it can be tough at times). But I love it and don't regret my career decision. Know that it requires that you be in great shape and not be bothered by the weather or terrain. If you like being outdoors under any conditions, you could do well in forestry. I've met many people that love to hunt, camp, etc. but prefer that it's on their terms...in forestry you have to go when and where the job is. It also requires that you go to school, at least a 4-year degree if you want to get anywhere. You could get a 2-year tech degree and mark timber or have a job that has a very narrow focus, but if you want variety you really need the 4-year (or higher). There are no shortcuts around the education requirement if you really want to be a forester.

If you want to see firsthand what forestry entails, my advice is to visit a US Forest Service office, state forest extension office, or university that offers a forestry program.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:59 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by USMCThomas
game warden

wildlife biologist
Realize that in most cases, you need an advanced degree (Masters or PhD) to get far, or get paid much, to be a wildlife biologist (or ecologist). Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I've met a few potential students right out of HS that had illusions that this is an easy job to get. You'll likely be working in a government job, either for a university or state or federal agency so this means there are fewer jobs in this role than in other outdoor jobs.

Not trying to discourage you in any way here...just pointing out that out of all of your suggested choices, this one will require the most schooling. Probably over half of the students that I know that started off with a goal in wildlife management eventually transitioned over to another field later one because it wasn't what they expected (too much school, different type of work than they expected, etc). Many biologists spend their 'field season' outdoors, and the rest of the year in an office crunching data. As I mentioned with forestry, my advice is to find an agency that does this, and go and meet with some actual professionals to see what they really do every day.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:15 PM
Spike

uphunter
you got my attention about forestry
Old 12-06-2009, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

i think the best career you can pick, if you love the outdoors, is one that gives you plenty of vacation time during the season you love the most. My buddy is a taxidermist, he must be in his shop all day and night to accept deer for mounting during deer season, he hasnt hunted in years.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:14 PM
Fork Horn

One thing I haven't read yet is if you get into the police aspect of the outdoors you may as well give up hunting. Being a regular city cop or a consercation officer you are either working all the time and don't get to hunt or you are working every day during the deer season. Trust me on this one. I know what I am talking about.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.