Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

new regulation vote

Old 12-05-2009, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shotguns shooting shot are legal. I'm pretty sure that any firearm shooting a single projectile is illegal.

Mike
Old 12-05-2009, 06:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Could someone provide me with the rules governing waterways and private property. And with rules I mean cited laws not what you thinks or have been told.
http://www.adventuresports.com/river...law-public.htm

http://www.adventuresports.com/river...w-who-owns.htm

In Florida...

Prohibited methods and equipment for taking game

* Shooting from vehicles, powerboats or sailboats moving under
power. Motors must be shut off or sails furled, and the vessel’s
progress must cease from such motor or sail before hunters may
shoot wildlife.
*Discharging firearms over paved public roads, rights-of-way,
highways, streets or occupied premises is prohibited.
* Shooting or propelling potentially lethal projectiles over or across
private land without authorization in order to take game is considered
criminal trespassing and is a felony.

Last edited by bigbulls; 12-05-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by teedub31
Could someone provide me with the rules governing waterways and private property. And with rules I mean cited laws not what you thinks or have been told. I have been told that property owners own the river (pretty sure it is false). I have been told that they own the ground under the river. (I don't know one way or the other). I have also been told that the high water mark of a navigable river is a public easement even if there is no water at that level currently.

Lots and lots of answers, but I have never been able to have a person cite the law supporting their veiw of river access through private property.
you have to read the deeds. Some are high water mark, some are to the middle. Your probably not going to find a one size fits all answer I would guess. I know where I am, you better keep your butt in the boat unless you know someone.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:30 PM
Fork Horn

In Missouri deer cannot be shot in water and cannot be shot from a boat that is moving or has a motor running.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:21 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by vabyrd
you have to read the deeds. Some are high water mark, some are to the middle. Your probably not going to find a one size fits all answer I would guess. I know where I am, you better keep your butt in the boat unless you know someone.
This is why I asked.

Read the post above you and see what the courts have said about this. The deed means nothing when it comes to the river. Court law has deemed public access to the high water mark and below with the underlaying bed still public property.

Murder someone in the river because you claim tresspassing and see how life/bubba treats you. It would almost be considered premideitated as posts like yours indicated you intend to take action in the future should it arise and that it did not arise out of passion and possible be considered manslaughter.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:40 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bandgod
How many of you would vote for a regulation in your state if it read as such?

"Float hunting (on a river, lake, pond, stream) through private land with the intent to kill deer is prohibited unless prior authorization from the landowner has been granted. Float hunting where water borders public land is permissible"

Yes or no would be good and if your state already has some sort of regulation like this would be nice to know as well. Any additional thoughts?
That is already pretty close to the law in Michigan. Hunting rights belong to the riparian land owner.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by teedub31
This is why I asked.

Read the post above you and see what the courts have said about this. The deed means nothing when it comes to the river. Court law has deemed public access to the high water mark and below with the underlaying bed still public property.

Murder someone in the river because you claim tresspassing and see how life/bubba treats you. It would almost be considered premideitated as posts like yours indicated you intend to take action in the future should it arise and that it did not arise out of passion and possible be considered manslaughter.
WTF are you talking about? Who said anything about killing someone? Are you friggin nuts? Look here stupid, if you are in a boat on a river, you don't get out and do stupid crap unless you have permission or are on public land. If you think your going to float down a river and shoot deer between the waters edge and the bank, you're stupid.

No one said anything about shooting someone, except you. Nutjob.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:36 AM
Typical Buck

WTF are you talking about? Who said anything about killing someone? Are you friggin nuts? Look here stupid, if you are in a boat on a river, you don't get out and do stupid crap unless you have permission or are on public land. If you think your going to float down a river and shoot deer between the waters edge and the bank, you're stupid.

I misinterpreted you "I know where I am at, you better keep your butt in the boat" as a threat that I hear all the time from where I am from. Landowners in my neck of the woods think they own the river bed and claim that they will protect themselves from tresspassers on "their land" and that getting out of a boat and placing a foot on the river bed constitutes tresspassing and an attack on their personal sovreignty cause their deed fradulently says they own half the river.

My post/question was about river rights and access and the law as it applies to public/private ownership and what constitutes trespass because most landowners really don't know near as much about the leagalities of the river running through their property as they think they do. I never brought up the hunting issue or shooting deer on private land.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

vabyrd, You owe a new keyboard. I 'bout choked and spit out my Sunkist lemonade all over it when I read that. LOL! That's funny! Nutjob and I had a few words way back when, but it's so much more fun hearing it from someone else. LOL!

iSnipe