Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Frozen stream...??

Old 12-04-2009, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Frozen stream...??

i was just curious if a frozen stream would affect deer movement??...i just put up a camera where there was a trail going through a stream and i was just curious if deer would go around it so they didnt have to walk on the ice...i had pictures there before i pulled the camera but it was still flowing water...any help is appreciated!!
Old 12-04-2009, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only time I've noticed where iced played a roll on how deer moved across a frozen river, was when the ice was still developing. It's as if the deer know, and I think by trial and error, that they can break through the ice. It's when it gets thick enough to walk on, they resume back to their crossing habits.

Ever see a deer cross ice? It's funny to watch. You can tell the ones who have already taken a dive because they walk stiff legged taking small steps. LOL!

iSnipe
Old 12-04-2009, 04:44 PM
Fork Horn

I agree. I think there is even less of a difference on smaller streams. I've seen deer cross rivers when there's ice floating, but they've been pushed by hunters to do so.