Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: Can you process your own deer?
Yes, I do it regularly
83.64%
No, but want to learn how
5.45%
Rather take it to a processor
10.91%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Game Processing

Old 12-03-2009, 10:21 AM
Fork Horn

My family and I have been processing our own deer ever since I can remember. We bought an electric meat grinder and a bunch of bags for deer burger. When someone harvests an animal we cut the backstraps out and make butterfly steaks, and we bone out the hams and front shoulders for grinding into burger. Every now and then we will use the hams for a roast but very rarely.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:42 AM
Fork Horn

Been doing my own forever. I understand on a "travel hunt" but I like doing it my way. I'm pretty particular...actually downright anal on how its all handled and what does and does not go into the ginder.

I've seen "processors" grind stuff I would never think about, and not be nearly as concerned about hair on the meat, etc.

Personally if you know the facility adn have faith in them and can afford it, I say good for you! God Bless America. Let another man make some money doing what they do best and you do what you do best.

I like to do my own though. My Son (12) got his first and second deer this year. He did the main cutting on both, with help of course. He's a little slow but that's normal. He gets it and now he understands that as soon as you pull that trigger...funs over. Time to go to work.

It's normal for me to spend about 10 hours skinning butchering processing and packing. More if I'm fiddling with hides and heads.

I don't think you are any less of a man than me if have yours done by someone else. If had $ to burn and good person local to do it, I might also....nah. :-)
Old 12-03-2009, 12:48 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by teedub31
I have read at least 2 posts in this thread where it was claimed that butchering a single deer saved the hunter a couple hundred dollars. I am just curious as to who is ripping you off?? I had 2 deer processed (110lbs doe and 170lb buck into normal cuts roasts burger summer sauasage and ground sausage). Bill was $55 for the doe and $65 for the buck. Hard to pass up the easy economics. Plus without a cooler, processing deer yourself in October and November usually means doing it pronto. Kill a deer at dusk, get him checked in and back to the house for 4-5 hours of butchering makes for a long night (usually alone) when a guy has to be at work at 5am the next morning.
4-5 hours of butchering??? WOW... I would honestly say 45 minutes-1 hour tops... For a beginner maybe 1.5 hours but 4-5 hours is overkill!! I believe you are getting a great deal at $55 and $65 for that work to be done, but any professional can accomplish this in roughly an hour so your paying them top dollar to do a simple deer.. Just my opinion but it should be part of the hunters responsibility to take care of their own animal.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:05 PM
Fork Horn

That axe on the right aint for looks

Have a 1 acre garden, a small flock of chickens, and fish all summer, put enough rock fish away for the year.
I dont eat pork, but we do butcher our own lambs that we get from the man up the road.

Sorry, but I do not buy fast food, nor meat at the super market.

Originally Posted by iSnipe
Just curious...

Do you slaughter and process your own chickens, pigs and cows?

...Or do you let someone else handle your "meat"?

iSnipe

Last edited by Slackdaddy; 12-03-2009 at 05:20 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bravo slackdaddy! I like your style. I hear yah, I hear yah!

Nice coop by the way. If I vacationed in that area, what would you charge me weekly to bunk in there? LOL!

Thanks for the reply.

iSnipe
Old 12-04-2009, 02:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Scottdnramember
Been doing my own forever. I understand on a "travel hunt" but I like doing it my way. I'm pretty particular...actually downright anal on how its all handled and what does and does not go into the ginder.

I've seen "processors" grind stuff I would never think about, and not be nearly as concerned about hair on the meat, etc.

Personally if you know the facility adn have faith in them and can afford it, I say good for you! God Bless America. Let another man make some money doing what they do best and you do what you do best.

I like to do my own though. My Son (12) got his first and second deer this year. He did the main cutting on both, with help of course. He's a little slow but that's normal. He gets it and now he understands that as soon as you pull that trigger...funs over. Time to go to work.

It's normal for me to spend about 10 hours skinning butchering processing and packing. More if I'm fiddling with hides and heads.

I don't think you are any less of a man than me if have yours done by someone else. If had $ to burn and good person local to do it, I might also....nah. :-)
Must be a Virginia thing, I'm the same way. I not critical of those who don't, although I believe its rewarding one should learn. For me its knowing I did it all. Plus, I know how I like packaged and ground. Just picky
Old 12-04-2009, 02:52 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks,
I did'nt meen to come on as "arrogant", it was suppose to be funny
My next step is "getting off the grid" as much as possible.

Slack

Originally Posted by iSnipe
Bravo slackdaddy! I like your style. I hear yah, I hear yah!

Nice coop by the way. If I vacationed in that area, what would you charge me weekly to bunk in there? LOL!

Thanks for the reply.

iSnipe
Old 12-04-2009, 03:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Slackdaddy

My next step is "getting off the grid" as much as possible.
Time to get out the solar panels and windmills.

iSnipe
Old 05-11-2010, 08:40 AM
Spike

Who wants to work at their normal job they are at for 40+ hours a week if you can have a beer w/ friends or family and butcher deer in your garage...not me :0)