Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: Can you process your own deer?
Yes, I do it regularly
83.64%
No, but want to learn how
5.45%
Rather take it to a processor
10.91%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Game Processing

Old 12-02-2009, 05:28 PM
Spike

Default Game Processing

How many of you deer hunters out there know how to process your deer meat? For that matter, everything you hunt?
Old 12-02-2009, 05:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

I just did my first one this year. I still have to grind the burger, but I will do that later. Its not as bad as I thought. Saved me over $200.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:55 PM
Fork Horn

I killed my first deer at 12 years old and at that point my dad told me that the "fun begins"!! I would watch him cut up his deer from the time I was 3-4 years old until it was my turn.. I truly believe that it is part of the hunt if you kill something you should be able to take of it your self.. It cracks me up that people pay a few $100 in order to get their deer processed.. Honestly at 12 years old I could do (I wasn't the greatest at that age by any means but the job got done) so I believe that a grown man that has been hunting for years should be able to do it.. My boy is 9 years old and has seen me cut dozens of deer up and as I do it I explain to him the process..
Old 12-02-2009, 06:01 PM
Fork Horn

It's part of the hunt, the whole family helps, it's a social event.
Besides, I have to wonder about any man that lets another man handle his meat !

Slack
Old 12-02-2009, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I can but sometimes I like to take it to the processor and let her make all the little special items I like.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:07 PM
Dominant Buck

I do my own and only send out to a processor if I am going out of town on a hunt and can't get to it or I am out west and need it frozen for the 3 day drive home. I actually enjoy doing it and grinding/ sausage making out of the non steak is fun too.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

The first deer I shot in 1978 I had it processed, pitful job. Since then I have done my own. Several years ago I bought a 1hp grinder from cabelas so I could do my own grinding. Best purchase I have ever made. I make my own summer sausage and jerky. I had much rather do it myself.
Old 12-02-2009, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

One thing I don't like about these posts is how others preach how it's almost downright unbearable to see others take their deer to the processors. So what if they don't know how? Maybe they never learned? Maybe no one taught them? Maybe they don't care to learn?

There could be many reasons why people take deer to the processors, but there isn't any good reason to talk down to people who take their deer to the processor.

I'm an expert when it comes to processing a deer. It took some time to learn, but I enjoy it now and I can do it fairly fast because I've learned to be efficient in my process. Doesn't mean I'm better than anyone else for doing so either and wouldn't belittle others who don't do it themselves. It just means I process my own deer. LOL!

iSnipe
Old 12-02-2009, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Question

Originally Posted by Slackdaddy
I have to wonder about any man that lets another man handle his meat
Just curious...

Do you slaughter and process your own chickens, pigs and cows?

...Or do you let someone else handle your "meat"?

iSnipe
Old 12-02-2009, 08:05 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by iSnipe
Just curious...

Do you slaughter and process your own chickens, pigs and cows?

...Or do you let someone else handle your "meat"?

iSnipe
You beat me to it iSnipe! So, let's hear it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.