Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

My Son's First Deer, Finally

Old 12-02-2009, 02:11 PM
Spike

Default My Son's First Deer, Finally

This is my first of hopefully many posts to come.

My son has finally harvested his first deer. The story to this deer is a long one of missed opportunities.

He began hunting with his grandfather and me when he was 5 years old. He was there when many deer were harvested until he was 9. Following that year, we worked with him on shooting a 30-30 with a scope. He did well at 50 yards but could not quite get the 100 yard shot down.

That year he was hunting alongside his grandfather when two doe walked into the field. He took aim and shot, but missed. The doe did not leave. He shot again and missed. With the doe still in close range, he shot again and missed. Unbelievably the doe was still there and he took a forth shot, again without hitting her. I was sitting about 400 yards behind them and was curious as to the outcome. They communicated the bad news of missing 4 times on the same deer. The other part of this story was they only took four bullets into the field with them. If they had more bullets, they could have shot more times since the doe was still in the field for another 5 minutes.

Fast forward to the next year, he is in a blind with me when out steps a small buck at about 100 yards. He takes a good rest, pulls the trigger. We could not tell initially if he hit the deer since it ducked into cover very quickly. After giving it enough time, I walked down to where the deer had been standing to find white hair. He had given this deer a haircut on its belly. Another lost opportunity.

Last year he never was presented an opportunity with his gun or bow (which he just started shooting).

This brings us to the current year. Remember, he has been shooting the 30-30 for 3 years and a bow for 1.

First day we have an opportunity to hunt with a bow; we go to our hunting location and place him in a stand. I go to the far end to check our trail camera and set up a ground blind. He radios me after about 45 minutes and informs me that he had 3 bucks; large 8 point, smaller 6 and a 4 point come in behind him to about 15 yards. He was unable to even get his bow ready before they busted out. Good start to the season for seeing good deer.

The next time we go out, we forget our radios but he texts me that he had a doe at 10 yards. After confirming what happened, the doe moved in front of his stand, he drew back on his bow but before he could get the sights on her, she stopped and was staring right at him. She started stomping her feet on the ground to get movement. He didn’t move but after what seemed like 2 minutes he could not hold his bow anymore and had to let off. She moved on fairly quickly after seeing this movement.

This brings us to last weekend, gun season in Oklahoma. He has the opportunity to hunt with his grandfather on Saturday and Sunday. His grandfather decided to let him use his gun, which my son has never shot before. While sitting in the stand together, facing opposite directions, my son sees a small buck appear. Before he can get the gun ready, the deer goes back into the brush. Looking intently for the deer, it comes back out about 5 minutes later and presents a shot at about 70 yards. He takes his rest, clicks off the safety and attempts to pull the trigger. Nothing happens. This gun has a tough trigger to pull and he was not used to putting that much pressure on the trigger. The deer is still in range and he resets, takes aim and boom. He shoots just in front of the deer. The deer bounds off not to be shot this day.

The next evening they go out again, this time it is my son’s first opportunity to hunt in a stand alone. His grandfather is sitting in a blind watching most of the same area. I am not hunting this evening but come into the location approximately 5:10 pm that evening. I get out of my vehicle to find my jacket and I hear a boom. Knowing that my son is the only hunter on the property, I knew he had taken a shot. About 5 minutes later, I get a phone call asking if I would like to see my son’s deer. Of course was my answer and jump in my truck to head to the field they are hunting. Once there, I walk across the field to them while he is standing over his deer. A little buck, not the one from the night before, had stepped out at about 100 yards. My son took aim and dropped him with one shot. He was still shaking when I arrived 10 minutes after the shot. What is funny is this is the same stand he used when he shot 4 times at the same doe 3 years earlier.

His grandfather and I are extremely proud of him for continuing to pursue his goal of getting a deer. What is great is that he cannot wait to get out in the woods again.

Sorry for the dark pictures but it was right at dark when he got his opportunity.

Happy Hunting!!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails My Son's First Deer, Finally-imga0002.jpg  
Old 12-02-2009, 02:31 PM
Fork Horn

Long story finally ending in sweet success. If he was hooked after 3 unsuccessful years he is definitely hooked now! Congrats to the little man and what a great story of keeping after it. Most kids would have given up long ago.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

great story and thats a good first buck. thanks for sharing and congrats to your son
Old 12-03-2009, 02:25 AM
Fork Horn

Awesome!! Wish my dad had the time to take me hunting when I was young. Congrats
Old 12-03-2009, 03:25 AM
Fork Horn

Great story. Congrats to all!
Old 12-03-2009, 03:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Awesome... congrats to you both!!! that is great...
Old 12-03-2009, 04:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

congrats to both of you
Old 12-03-2009, 09:43 AM
Spike

Default Steven way to go boy, tell dad it's his turn now!!

After having the pleasure of guiding steven and his dad for our youth early season i have a pretty good idea about just how excited he is to have harvested his 1st deer. way to go boy
Originally Posted by ksdeerhunter1
This is my first of hopefully many posts to come.

My son has finally harvested his first deer. The story to this deer is a long one of missed opportunities.

He began hunting with his grandfather and me when he was 5 years old. He was there when many deer were harvested until he was 9. Following that year, we worked with him on shooting a 30-30 with a scope. He did well at 50 yards but could not quite get the 100 yard shot down.

That year he was hunting alongside his grandfather when two doe walked into the field. He took aim and shot, but missed. The doe did not leave. He shot again and missed. With the doe still in close range, he shot again and missed. Unbelievably the doe was still there and he took a forth shot, again without hitting her. I was sitting about 400 yards behind them and was curious as to the outcome. They communicated the bad news of missing 4 times on the same deer. The other part of this story was they only took four bullets into the field with them. If they had more bullets, they could have shot more times since the doe was still in the field for another 5 minutes.

Fast forward to the next year, he is in a blind with me when out steps a small buck at about 100 yards. He takes a good rest, pulls the trigger. We could not tell initially if he hit the deer since it ducked into cover very quickly. After giving it enough time, I walked down to where the deer had been standing to find white hair. He had given this deer a haircut on its belly. Another lost opportunity.

Last year he never was presented an opportunity with his gun or bow (which he just started shooting).

This brings us to the current year. Remember, he has been shooting the 30-30 for 3 years and a bow for 1.

First day we have an opportunity to hunt with a bow; we go to our hunting location and place him in a stand. I go to the far end to check our trail camera and set up a ground blind. He radios me after about 45 minutes and informs me that he had 3 bucks; large 8 point, smaller 6 and a 4 point come in behind him to about 15 yards. He was unable to even get his bow ready before they busted out. Good start to the season for seeing good deer.

The next time we go out, we forget our radios but he texts me that he had a doe at 10 yards. After confirming what happened, the doe moved in front of his stand, he drew back on his bow but before he could get the sights on her, she stopped and was staring right at him. She started stomping her feet on the ground to get movement. He didn’t move but after what seemed like 2 minutes he could not hold his bow anymore and had to let off. She moved on fairly quickly after seeing this movement.

This brings us to last weekend, gun season in Oklahoma. He has the opportunity to hunt with his grandfather on Saturday and Sunday. His grandfather decided to let him use his gun, which my son has never shot before. While sitting in the stand together, facing opposite directions, my son sees a small buck appear. Before he can get the gun ready, the deer goes back into the brush. Looking intently for the deer, it comes back out about 5 minutes later and presents a shot at about 70 yards. He takes his rest, clicks off the safety and attempts to pull the trigger. Nothing happens. This gun has a tough trigger to pull and he was not used to putting that much pressure on the trigger. The deer is still in range and he resets, takes aim and boom. He shoots just in front of the deer. The deer bounds off not to be shot this day.

The next evening they go out again, this time it is my son’s first opportunity to hunt in a stand alone. His grandfather is sitting in a blind watching most of the same area. I am not hunting this evening but come into the location approximately 5:10 pm that evening. I get out of my vehicle to find my jacket and I hear a boom. Knowing that my son is the only hunter on the property, I knew he had taken a shot. About 5 minutes later, I get a phone call asking if I would like to see my son’s deer. Of course was my answer and jump in my truck to head to the field they are hunting. Once there, I walk across the field to them while he is standing over his deer. A little buck, not the one from the night before, had stepped out at about 100 yards. My son took aim and dropped him with one shot. He was still shaking when I arrived 10 minutes after the shot. What is funny is this is the same stand he used when he shot 4 times at the same doe 3 years earlier.

His grandfather and I are extremely proud of him for continuing to pursue his goal of getting a deer. What is great is that he cannot wait to get out in the woods again.

Sorry for the dark pictures but it was right at dark when he got his opportunity.

Happy Hunting!!!!!!!
Old 12-03-2009, 10:18 AM
Fork Horn

Good read and congrats to him!
Old 12-03-2009, 06:33 PM
Spike

Awesome story

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.