Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
What kind of real hunter does this? >

What kind of real hunter does this?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Hunting Kuk
..i also dont want to P him off i would like to know why he shot and left it though...maybe a injury to the deer that would be kinda understandable for shooting not leaving it but shooting it?

dude if he is leavin em lie, this is the most opportune time for you to get over there and get huntin permission..if he wants his buck, tell him ya give him a grand fer every thing over a spike buck, and then dont shoot any..thats good meat and more land to scout..and if your like me, your own land kinda aint as exciting to scout after awhile, cause you know everywhere on your land already lol, if ya know what i mean?
Old 12-02-2009, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Hunting Kuk

...i would like to know why he shot and left it though...
I would guess because he thought he missed. When I shoot deer that drop, the recoil often prevents me from seeing the drop in my scope. He shot, saw a bunch of deer run off and assumed he missed.

The grass may have been short where he "should" have seen the deer, but maybe again, the deer's color is a very good camoflauge. That and a slight roll or hill in the pasture will prevent a deer from being see if it's laying flat, like the dead deer here.

Still no excuse for at least not investigating to see if there was a hit.

iSnipe
Old 12-02-2009, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know in Wisconsin its a law to tag your deer as soon as possible, so there could be a legal issue there
Old 12-02-2009, 08:10 PM
Typical Buck

A tool!!!!
Old 12-02-2009, 09:23 PM
Spike

Im not sure what the laws there are, but in KS a farmer can get a permit to shoot deer (if there are too many and are causing damage to the crops) basically year round. They have to leave them lie after being shot tho. No reason to jump to conclusions and condemn the guy as a bad hunter or horrible person. He could be just protecting his crop and livelihood as a farmer.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:20 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
dude if he is leavin em lie, this is the most opportune time for you to get over there and get huntin permission..if he wants his buck, tell him ya give him a grand fer every thing over a spike buck, and then dont shoot any..thats good meat and more land to scout..and if your like me, your own land kinda aint as exciting to scout after awhile, cause you know everywhere on your land already lol, if ya know what i mean?
That is exactly what I was thinking. I would walk over and just tell him you noticed he shot a deer. You are wondering if it would be helpfull if you could hunt them on his land. He might thank you and give you access. Approaching him offering to help is much better than approaching him with accusations.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by jsuth
No reason to jump to conclusions and condemn the guy as a bad hunter or horrible person. He could be just protecting his crop and livelihood as a farmer.
My BS meter just went off.

While you paint a possible picture, it is HIGHLY unlikely. If I were a farmer having problems with too many deer, I'd be smart enough to allow my family to come over and do some hunting.

If no family, then I'd have NO PROBLEM finding people to come over and thin the herd and get some good venison in the process. But to shoot a deer and let it lay there to waste, regardless of the situation, is pathetic. And that's my opinion on that.

==================
Also, this is an edit... an extension to my previous post here...

jsuth, this is nothing personal towards you. It may look like it, but it is more of an upset for me in regards to the "Policies" that are there to allow such a thing to take place. In this day and age, with people supposed to be intelligent, I find it difficult to grasp a policy that allows wanton waste of deer, without first finding if there are interested parties in either hunting the deer themselves or at the very least, putting the venison to good use.

iSnipe

Last edited by iSnipe; 12-03-2009 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:17 PM
Spike

It was in Missouri a few years ago, when a farmer had gotten nuisance tags and my brother in law was granted the exclusive privilege to be the "designated shooter". He alone was allowed to shoot and it had to be does.

I went with him to "exterminate" the deer. It was night time. I held the spotlight and he shot right over the cab of the truck.

Each kill had to be reported to the game warden (conservation officer) and the deer could be "donated ". It was also required that the game warden be informed as to whom the recipients of the deer were. Needy families were chosen.

Rant all you want to but it was legal.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:21 PM
Dominant Buck

Hunter?
Old 12-03-2009, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Exclamation

Originally Posted by whitetailaddiction
Rant all you want to but it was legal.
Who here would ****** rant about that?

It's a win-win! Farmer gets herd population under control and the venison gets used appropriately.

iSnipe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.