Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

DS Shot His FIRST BUCK!

Old 12-02-2009, 04:12 AM
Ava
Fork Horn

Default DS Shot His FIRST BUCK!

Talk to the buck and kiss my ass.

Last edited by Ava; 12-04-2009 at 02:10 AM.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by Ava
I have yet to get one.
That's it. End of story. The rest is fluff.

Further comments pending...

iSnipe
Old 12-02-2009, 05:07 AM
Spike

That's awesome. Tell em congrats
Old 12-02-2009, 05:21 AM
Ava
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by iSnipe
That's it. End of story. The rest is fluff.

Further comments pending...

iSnipe
It's all good! I'm just so happy the boy got one!
Old 12-02-2009, 05:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats to the boy... that is great...
600 yards!!! I couldn't make that shot!
Old 12-02-2009, 06:00 AM
Ava
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Western MA Hunter
Congrats to the boy... that is great...
600 yards!!! I couldn't make that shot!
Dad and brother said it was a once in a lifetime shot and he pulled it off! It was amazing! They also said that most people wouldn't believe it but they talked him through it and he sealed the deal and all 3 of them witnessed it with their own eyes! I found dad in the feild and he pointed to the tree behind him where he shot from and where the buck was shot. When I go back out tomorrow, I'll try to get a pic of the tree and feild if we have down time.

I was so proud of him! He even got his first buck before my brother and he's been hunting for years!!
Old 12-02-2009, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Please take my post in the most constructive way possible.

I guess this turned out ok, but there's no way I would have let a beginning hunter take that shot. It's not responsible. He never shot the gun before, I'll be he never shot at a target at that distance with any gun, let alone shooting at something living, the list goes on.

You blame the gut shot on wind?!!? What about the fact that the shooter really had no earthly idea what he was doing? Heck, the wind may be the only reason he hit the deer at all. You'll never know. And then there's your boy being taught to take long shots in windy conditions in the first place.
Think about this, a 7mm zeroed for 300 yds will drop about 50-60 inches at 600 yards, that's 4 to 5 feet. A 10 mph breeze will push a 7mm bullet 2 feet at 600 yds. IMO, If you have to hold off the animal you are shooting too far. I can hear it now, "Aim about 4 feet high and a 2 feet to the left and you MIGHT hit him."

Look at it this way, what if his gut shot ended badly - a lost but very dead deer? How would you both feel then? Would he want to continue hunting? I would hope he'd feel badly but eventually shake it off and continue hunting, but what if he just quit? Bad hits can happen under the best of conditions, why risk it?

IMO, a young hunter should be brought along by folks that set the correct examples. Taking low percentage shots on game animals is not the right way, it shows a lack of respect for the animal. I'm pretty sure you can expect your son to want a 7mm of his own so he can continue to pop off shots and 600 yds and maybe even beyond. Heck, his first try turned out so well.

I know you're a beginner as well, but I think you probably do realize that perhaps it would be better to teach the kid to hunt, so he can get close to game, so his shots are basically slam-dunks. Leave the longer range shooting to the shooting range.
Old 12-02-2009, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

awsome my first deer was like 80 yards away with a 30-30 but now here i am 15 with a 7mag he is starten out with the big guns im tellen ya!congrats to both of ya!!!lots of deer meat 2
Old 12-02-2009, 12:34 PM
Fork Horn

i agree 1000% WITH THE POSTER ABOVE ME. first off, congratts to your son, but that shot should have never taken place. congratts again, but please teach responsibble hunting and respect for the animals.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, that's a great story! I'm glad for you and your son. Sounds like a great adventure. I know what's it's like being around someone who got their first deer.

As for the shot and aforementioned criticism, being one of experience with long distance shooting, I highly doubt the shot was close to 600 yards. When I shoot that far, it's either a pre-marked distance or I have an electronic laser range finder. For most people they don't know their range much beyond 250 yards.

As for my criticism, I believe long shots should never be taken at game, unless that range has been practiced enough to be proficient at it. Hard to argue with success. He put the bad boy down and that's that. LOL!

Congrat's to both of you Ava. Fun times.

Now we need to see YOUR picture of the deer you got! Don't mean to put any undue pressure on yah!

iSnipe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.