Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

7.62x39 effect on deer

Old 10-14-2018, 07:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

The Hornady link you posted was for Hornady steel case and we dont even know if the OP reloads. Keeping that option open though would be wise.

Loaded with Hornady's SST bullet, this round is loaded in lacquer-coated steel cases with non-corrosive berdan primers
Old 10-14-2018, 07:02 AM
Typical Buck

Ok. If he googles it for himself, I bet he can find lots of stuff.

But if hornady is making steel cases for hunting, I wouldn't be afraid to use them.
Old 10-14-2018, 07:09 AM
Typical Buck

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...ted+Soft+Point

Core lokt has killed more deer than CWD ever will.
Old 10-14-2018, 07:19 AM
Typical Buck

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/34...oint-box-of-20

Not a lot of reviews. I suspect if you googled hunting deer with 7.62x39 and forum you would get tons of people who have.
Old 10-14-2018, 07:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Probably fine in 308 bores like the Mini-30. Thats the problem with some USA made 7.62x39 bullets. They are not .311. I think Federal uses a .311 Speer HotCor bullets in their Fusion hunting ammo. The CZ 527 like most imports uses a .311 groove barrel. A lot of the USA made stuff wont shoot well in those bores.
Old 10-14-2018, 07:32 AM
Typical Buck

https://www.remington.com/search/ammo?cartridge=353

Bunche to choose from. Even more with google. I am going to say most 7mm rounds are good with in reason, for deer, and short ranges. Most hunting around here is 30 yards.
Old 11-04-2019, 03:46 PM
Spike

I know this is an older post but still a relevant topic. I'm mentoring a boy of a single mom who has no family or friends that hunt. The young man is small for his age of 11. strength and tolerance for recoil are some hurdles we had to deal with. I have a 30-06 and 7mm08 for my hunting tools for Wisconsin Whitetail. My two main rifles were not an option for this young guy.

A lot of research and studying led me to buy a Ruger American Ranch in 7.62x39. I handload so going forward I will have other options but for the Wisconsin's youth hunt, 10-05-19 I used off the shelf Winchester Soft Point hunting bullets.

This round grouped well and this young guy was able to shoot them well. Long story short the young guy harvested his first deer.

The shot was a 100 yard shot. The little guy used shooting stix to support the weight of the rifle. The shot was near the center of the chest broadside while the deer was grazing. The 150 pound doe rand 40 yards and died quickly.

The bullet went through the deer and no ribs were hit. The bullet damaged both lungs, the end of liver, and a major piece of plumbing for the heart. (not sure if the pipe was into or out of the heart.) The damage to the lungs and liver were very clear and tissue was damaged in an estimated 2-2.5" diameter around the bullet's path.

While this was a successful hunt I think the Winchester ammo will not be used again. I feel the bullet didn't expand much
Old 11-05-2019, 11:52 AM
Spike

In addition to the above:
Since the successful hunt, I've shot some Hornady Black SST 7.62x39 out of the RARR. This ammo shot very well. The SST is a quick expanding bullet but, I think at this slower .30 cal velocities (compared to an'06 or .308) this bullet may hold up and expand nicely on deer.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sixpointeightfan
In addition to the above:
The SST is a quick expanding bullet but, I think at this slower .30 cal velocities (compared to an'06 or .308) this bullet may hold up and expand nicely on deer.
That is an interesting thought. I imagine that means deeper penetration.
Old 11-06-2019, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

we all develope personal preferences due to field experiences, and yes shot placement remains the critical factor!
over the last 5 decades, many of the guys I hunt deer and hogs with here in florida have found a semi auto, or lever action carbine;s in mid range calibers to be very well matched to the rather fast and close range hunting,
that is very common around here.
ranges rarely exceed 70-80 yards, you rarely get the opportunity to get off more than one or two shots, hunting from climbing tree stands is common but still hunting thicker brush is also done all the time.
when most of us have used several of these carbines we eventually find we prefer one over the others.
Ive used the marlin 44 mag lever action for decades, the best load I found was the lee 310 grain hard cast bullet over 21 grains of h110 powder
this is quite effective up to about 120 yards but its trajectory is not conductive too much further accurate shot placement with iron sights.

for the last few years Ive used a 7.62/39mm sporter carbine , its accurate and shoots a bit flatter shooting and every bit as effective when loaded with 150 grain .311 diam bullets
it may not look traditional but its slowly winning me over from the marlin 25 grains of accurate 2015 powder seems to work ok in my carbine. cast bullets have up to this point proven to be less accurate so I stick to jacketed in this carbine.

Ive owned and used a ruger semi auto carbine but was never able to get consistently better than about 3" 100 yard groups so I sold it to a buddy that loves it , and hes not concerned as I doubt hes ever shot a deer or hog at over 50 yards in 4 decades

Last edited by hardcastonly; 11-07-2019 at 09:13 AM.