Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

7.62x39 effect on deer

Old 12-05-2009, 06:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by usmc1978
That shouldn't be ANYONE on this site. If anyone in these parts disagrees with ARs in civilian hands, they had better wake the heck up. I'm not going to give you the whole lecture, but suffice to say the end result of that attitude is that we'll all be disarmed.
I don't have a problem with AR's in civilian hands. What I do have a problem with is that because I own guns I'm expected to agree with everyone that owns one. Don't think so. Personally, I think its an asinine rifle for hunting. I don't care what anyone says. Remember the amendment before #2? Not my preference. Sure, its a great design, accurate, reliable, and so on. But, kids today spend too much time in front of the TV and playing video games. Where do yo think most of them learn about this stuff? First hunting rifle and AR? No. These kids use cheat codes and special enhancements so that the video games are "more bloody". Is that not something to be concerned about.

Read through some of the posts on this site. "Im a felon, and want my guns back" There are those that want gore. " I want a baseball sized hole" "got to drop in its tracks" " I like head shots" blah, blah. More time is spent on reveling in shoulders being blown off than the reason behind hunting.

The day that all gun owners share the same responsibility and respect for firearms is the day that I agree with everything gun.

And that ain't today.
Old 12-05-2009, 06:26 AM
Fork Horn

I understand your point, and I think there is a causal relationship between violent video games and violence in society. I don't agree with all gun owners. Heck, I don't agree with everything my wife says and does.

My point was strictly that we have the right to own firearms, including mag-fed semi-autos. I wasn't referring exclusively to hunting.

It is unfortunate that some take pleasure in the amount of damage done by certain calibers, hits, etc., but I don't think that's the majority of hunters. I, too, would prefer that every deer I shoot drops in his tracks (I mostly hunt with a crossbow, but do a bit of gun hunting) or, at the very least within sight. That's not because I revel in the damage done, but because every time a deer I hit runs out of sight, I worry about recovery. I worry until I'm putting the tag on him.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:15 AM
Spike

Shot placement is everything. Your know your rifle better than anyone else. You’ve been shooting it for a while and your groups are at least 1” to 1.5”. A 124Gr hollow point would take just about any size deer, but only if your have shot and train yourself on the range.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator

my AK sporter looks identical to this one, remember FLORIDA requires a 5 shot max magazine capacity on semi auto deer rifles

If you are building or buying a 7.62x39 and are arguing with yourself over bore diameter, consider that ,
most .308-caliber spitzer bullets are not designed to provide their best terminal performance at 7.62x39 impact velocities
most .308 bullets in hand loads ,will result in horrible accuracy .
And, even though there’s not a wide selection of .310 and .311 bullets,
those available are just the right weight and length for the 7.62x39 and do provide good terminal performance.

http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=7.62%20x%2039&Weight=All&type= Rifle&Source=

this is the only bullet Ive found that produces target grade accuracy in my rifles in 7.62-39mm
its .311, .308 bullets are about as accurate in my rifle as throwing rocks, if your blind-folded while dead drunk on roller skates
imr 3031 and imr 4064 work well but most load data is a bit hot, so work up carefully, 2" 100 yard groups are easily achieved
https://www.speer-ammo.com/bullets/r...50-sptz-bullet
most deer hit with the ak cartridge act like they were hit with a 30/30, some drop, most run a short distance, its effective but its sure not a 270 or 25/06.

Last edited by hardcastonly; 10-13-2018 at 01:44 PM.
Old 10-13-2018, 07:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sellier and Bellot offers a 7.62x39 123gr SP with a claimed MV of over 2400fps. This stuff is cheap and normally fairly good quality ammo. They use the correct .311 bullets also.
http://www.sellierbellot.us/index.php/products/view-product?id=204

Looks like it works too

Last edited by Gm54-120; 10-13-2018 at 07:51 AM.
Old 10-13-2018, 04:45 PM
Typical Buck

Available in a wide variety of hunting calibers, Custom™ ammunition is loaded with InterLock,® SST,® InterBond,® FTX® and GMX® bullets, providing an all-around line of hunting ammunition for your preferred shooting experience.

https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/r...-steel-case#!/
Old 10-13-2018, 10:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hornady only offers the SST in 7.62x39 and its a .310 bullet. Have you priced the stuff?

Steel is running around $35/50 which isnt bad
Black is over $20/20

S&B can be found for $11-12/20 and occasionally ive found it for $10/20 with a brass case.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 10-14-2018 at 05:37 AM.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:07 AM
Typical Buck

I realize premium hunting ammo costs more. While I have never used 7.62x39 its not a 5.56. I think if you google you could find lots of stuff. Even more if you hand load it.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well, that is sorta my point. You cant reload the Steel. You can reload the cheap S&B though and its pretty fast stuff for 7.62x39. I still have a unopened crate of old Israeli surplus HP ammo. Rumor is it was some special Special OPs ammo they used in Galil rifles many many years ago. Ive had good luck with the S&B ammo in other calibers. Not the best stuff out there but good cheap ammo. I liked it much better than stuff i tried from PRIVI.

Part of the whole point with 7.62x39 is cheap ammo but the CZ 527 is anything but cheap. Underwood offers some nice rounds made with Lehigh Controlled Chaos bullets but im not sure if those are upto the task of deer hunting. Its a controlled fracture design but i know their hunting bullets are very effective in other calibers. Running steel case through a neat little CZ bolt action just doesnt feel right i guess....although its probably just fine.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:55 AM
Typical Buck

https://www.starlinebrass.com/brass-...x39mm-Russian/

What is all this talk about steel and military surplus? He didn't buy an AK. Which could still shoot hunting ammo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.