Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

2009 WI Gun Deer Season

Old 12-02-2009, 12:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Over here in N. MN, I've seen less myself. Guy at the sportinggoods store said everyone was not seeing much. There was no snow at all this hunting season, but he said that didn't contribute to lack of success. It was the deer numbers are down.

iSnipe
Old 12-02-2009, 04:18 AM
Fork Horn

I know something has to be done, just not sure what. I wonder what a large boycott of the license will do. Will it make them listen to us, or will they find other ways to find revenue like upping the fees for everything else and still giving tags to anyone willing to down a deer? Some people just don't care and will shoot anything that moves, that's partially why this year was bad, from guys in the past actually filling those tags. i really don't know the answer.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:41 AM
Typical Buck

Same here. Saw 2 deer, yes 2 deer in 9 days. Saw plenty of wolf tracks thou. don't count on any antlerless tags next year north of 8.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:32 PM
Fork Horn

Hunted right along Hwy 8 and deer sighting was down 50% from last year on both sides of the highway. Especially scarce were the number of mature does. Since we practice QDM on our property, eight hunters harvested 2 10's, 1 9 pointer, and 1 8 pointer along with 4 does. The number of small bucks we had the chance to pass up was down 75% from past years.

We all have to take the blame for this. The EAB threat two years ago had us all shooting multiple does for each unit we hunt so we wouldn't have restrictions if EAB was implemented. What a mistake. Our group of 9 hunters tagged out 24 deer in 2007 and now we're paying the price. Thankfully we had let the little bucks go but it doesn't look good for next year for does or big bucks due to the lack of deer sighted.

Neighbors are also seeing the same results. They all shot too many does in 2007 and are seeing nothing now. One guy hunted 33 hours by mid week and had seen only 2 fawns in that time.

We're all in agreement that we're going to keep doe harvest to the absolute minimum going forward and continue to practice the "let'm go.....let'm grow philosophy. Just because we were give "free" tags doesn't mean we have to fill them.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:07 AM
Spike

Do any of you have trail cam's out and what is it showing? I have mine out and it was showing deer mostly at night. Have not checked since the end of rifle season, so I'm curious what it will show. Live in Minneapolis, so I don't get up there as often as I would like. Get this........my sister-in-laws husband had a wolf with the head of a 8 pt. buck in its mouth on their trail cam........unreal!!!
Old 12-03-2009, 12:22 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ISHAMKBJ
Do any of you have trail cam's out and what is it showing? I have mine out and it was showing deer mostly at night. Have not checked since the end of rifle season, so I'm curious what it will show. Live in Minneapolis, so I don't get up there as often as I would like. Get this........my sister-in-laws husband had a wolf with the head of a 8 pt. buck in its mouth on their trail cam........unreal!!!
I for one, would like to see that picture!
Old 12-03-2009, 04:08 PM
Spike

Hi all
I hunt in minnesota. I could spit and hit Wis. We saw deer but it was dark, there is a lucky 8 pointer that no one can hit...lol
but I have seen more deer last year and the year before. Ya gotta love 50 degrees in Nov. We'll be muzzleing this weekend. My turn on the big buck.
Boog

http://2womenwhitetaildeerhunting.com
Old 12-03-2009, 06:25 PM
Fork Horn

Hope you have good luck over there in MN with the ML.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:57 PM
Spike

How many of you hunt the post rut? What strategy do you use that has worked for you? I have never been successful in this time , so I was wondering what works for you .
Old 12-05-2009, 06:05 PM
Fork Horn

Default I told you so

seven years ago when the cwd first started and the dnr went to the earn a buck there where a number of people on this forum bragging about all the deer and the big buck they were taking in early nov. rifle season remember gun season started in oct and ran most of nov. One hunting big buck in wi durning the rut is really no challenge two these people were shooting multiple deer and I warned everyone that within ten years the herd would be decimated. I was chastised by these so called hunters and now they are all complaining about the lack of deer. They brought it upon themselves, three of us in Sauk County hunting seven days seen three deer. my son who is the future of hunting is disgusted and talking of giving it up. as are many of his friends.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.