Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Best Patterning shotgun for buckshot >

Best Patterning shotgun for buckshot

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Best Patterning shotgun for buckshot

Old 12-01-2009, 06:33 AM
Typical Buck

Just outta curiosity, what is the rationale behind the club rule to use only buckshot??? Just seems alittle strange to me thats all.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default county law

Originally Posted by teedub31
Just outta curiosity, what is the rationale behind the club rule to use only buckshot??? Just seems alittle strange to me thats all.
It's a county law. In VA, Counties have their own sets or fregulations as to what can be used, Rifle, Pistol, Black Powder and even distances from roads and homes. you have toknow what they all are for any county you hunt in. The games laws book (Free) explains it all for and other than bag limits it rarely changes.

Personally, I would rather see a law requiring slugs than buckshot. One projectile aimed is better than 15 plus scattered. That's a lot less lead bouncing around the woods. Plus it encourages careful shot placement in the first place. But knowbody asked me and who the he!! am I right?

Better yet, Choose for yourself. Keep the polititains out my magazines
Old 12-02-2009, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Scottdnramember
It's a county law. In VA, Counties have their own sets or fregulations as to what can be used, Rifle, Pistol, Black Powder and even distances from roads and homes. you have toknow what they all are for any county you hunt in. The games laws book (Free) explains it all for and other than bag limits it rarely changes.

Personally, I would rather see a law requiring slugs than buckshot. One projectile aimed is better than 15 plus scattered. That's a lot less lead bouncing around the woods. Plus it encourages careful shot placement in the first place. But knowbody asked me and who the he!! am I right?

Better yet, Choose for yourself. Keep the polititains out my magazines
It's primarily a dog hunting county as most counties are with the buckshot rule in VA. I agree though, you should be able to use whatever kind of ammo/firearms you want
Old 12-02-2009, 07:39 AM
Fork Horn

Ok Guys, Heres the question;
I have been hunting with slugs for a long time and love it, but I'm joining a club that is in a buckshot only county. My 500 hates buckshot. Plus, it's a great excuse to add a new smokepole to the barn.
I know this will be like a Ford/Chevy argument but here's your chance to brag on your gun.
I want a semi auto with a removable plug, preferably camo that can do double duty as a turkey/goose/duck/dove gun. 3" or 3-1/2" 12 ga. Price is an object! I have no need to spend $1200 on this thing, and the only thing that impresses me is the pattern. I want unreasonalbly crazy tight patterns at extened ranges (for a shotgun that is)
If the big buck is 80 yards out broadside, I'd like a chance.
Scott, you cant buy a shotgun that patterns buckshot, you need to buy buckshot that patterns well in your shotgun! Your 500 has interchangeable barrels, why not just buy a differnt barrel w/ changeable chokes and try that! 80 yard shot with buckshot is a very unrealistic shot and not fair to the animal that your hunting. 40 yards and in is realistic, perhaps 50 being the outside limit. Sounds to me like you just wanna put a new gun in the house! (do we really need an excuse?! ) but if thats the case look at the Mossy 935 Magnum.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:13 AM
Fork Horn

Just a quick question, while we are on the subject. I have never used buckshot nor had the desire...Just wondering...what are the advantages to using buckshot? Your range is limited and you are not 100% sure you'll get a BB in a vital area...?? I just don't see what the advantage could be...Could someone give me some insight?
Old 12-02-2009, 02:07 PM
Fork Horn

kateraxl2381,

The easiest way to explain it is that here in Virginia when using dogs its almost like bird hunting. The deer are moving warp speed past you and you usually are in thick cover where shots are not long. It would almost be impossible with a slug in some ofthe places we hunt to use a slug because of all the brush and trees. I'm from Iowa originally and the landscape here in Virginia isn't like the midwest. I know it sounds strange but once you try it you are hooked.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:36 PM
Fork Horn

Oh ok. I understand it now. I appreciate the info, that does sound like a change of pace from what I'm use to and sounds like a good time.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:02 PM
Spike

No ethical deer hunter would ever consider using buckshot. More deer are wounded and never recovered every year with buckshot than any other hunting round.
I shot my first deer when I was 10 years old using 12 ga buckshot. It was a 30 yard broadside shot and the deer ran for 50 yards before it went down. When my father and I found the deer hidden in the brush pile the deer becan to "Cry"- more like a scream than anything else. It was the worst sound I had ever listend to. I refused to hunt deer for 4 years after that. If the area you want to hunt is buckshot only I would suggest you find another area to hunt. Its all about the CLEAN kill.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Ok Guys,... I know this will be like a Ford/Chevy argument...
There's no debate or argument there. Chevy kicks arse over Ford all the time.

F.O.R.D = Fix Or Repair Daily
F.O.R.D = Found On Road Dead
F.O.R.D = Fails On Rainy Days
F.O.R.D = Fails On Race Day
F.O.R.D = Found On Roadside... DEAD! LOL!
F.O.R.D = First On Race Day... to the scrap yard. LOL!
F.O.R.D = Found On Road Deserted

Ford backwards = D.R.O.F = Driver Returns On Foot. LOL!

iSnipe