Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
What type of bullet would you recommend? >

What type of bullet would you recommend?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What type of bullet would you recommend?

Old 11-30-2009, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bang-flops are impressive, but they don't happen as often as you might think. As said, the best ways to get a bang-flop is a shot through the shoulder blade (high shoulder), a neck/spine shot destroying the spinal column, or a headshot. The head/neck shots aren't a great idea because they are fairly small targets to hit, and relative to the body of the animal, they move quite a lot more (the head and neck move even when the deer is standing in one place). The downside of the high shoulder shot is that it passes through a large muscle/bone mass, causing substantial destruction of edible meat.

I would say that you'd be best advised to stick with a conventional cup/core soft point like the one you're using in 150 or 165 grains. These will rapidly expand and lose considerable weight (fragmentation). This will generally result in a better chance of DRT (Dead Right There) performance or at least shorter tracking. Just remember, shot placement is the most important thing. Any expanding bullet from a .30-06 will kill a deer effectively when the vitals are hit.

Mike
Old 11-30-2009, 10:55 AM
Fork Horn

I'd say just keep using what you are using. There will be deer that drop for you and there will be some that run a hundred yards before they drop (assuming you hit them of course)
Old 11-30-2009, 12:05 PM
Typical Buck

I have used 150 gr Soft Points in my .30-06 since I got it in 1994. Some deer have ran and some have dropped in their tracks. A bullet in the boiler room and they won't run far.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

my view of the .30-06 has always been, 150grs on most stuff, 180grs on the big or dangerous stuff. However if you can't find a load in 150grs that shoots well perhaps a 165gr would be more ideal.

I think 150grs with the 06 is perfect though, its like the 130gr with the .270 IMO.

don't be suprised about animals not dropping/dying on the spot, hunting ain't TV!

as long as you can make a good shot don't worry about an animal running off, a good shot = dead animal.

so many guys I hear worrying about tracking an animal, no blood etc..., don't even let that enter your mind, make a good shot, be confident, and if you put the bullet where you're aiming, you'll be very successful.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:22 PM
Spike

150 ballistic tips do wonders on deer i imagine sst from hornady would too
Old 11-30-2009, 12:25 PM
Spike

anyone have any info on 45/70 ishot agood buck with 325grain levealutions no blood for 100 yards but my shot was probaly too blame
Old 11-30-2009, 12:30 PM
Spike

I shoot a 130gr spire point out my 30-06....we load our own and i find that the 130 gr bullet has plenty of knock down power....the key that everyone is bringing out here is shot placement...im sure the 150gr bullet will work just fine for you.....
Old 11-30-2009, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by hdhunter
anyone have any info on 45/70 ishot agood buck with 325grain levealutions no blood for 100 yards but my shot was probaly too blame
Best to have your own thread for that so that you don't dilute the info here, but also so that you'll get more focused answers.

Welcome to the forum hdhunter!

iSnipe
Old 11-30-2009, 02:56 PM
RAK
Spike

Thanks for all replies. Yes I did aim for the heart but the day was windy. I did lot's of practicing the day before but still the wind blew the bullet more to the guts. I guess I will stick with this technique. The deer zigzagged for more than a mile. It took a while to find. I found it in some tall grass . There was blood 20 feet from the deer but nowhere else.

Thanks for the welcomes.