HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   river hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/311047-river-hunting.html)

bandgod 11-29-2009 03:15 AM

river hunting

Have any of you tried to float a river in an attempt to shoot a deer? We've had a ton of people float by our land this year looking to shoot a deer and we had one deer that was shot die under my niece. No one ever tried to come and get it so we took it. We work hard to manage our deer herd and then we have people float through (all private land from boat landing to boat landing) and shoot anything they see hoping it will drop in the water so they can "legally" take it. I'm growing frustrated with it and contacted the DNR yesterday when I witnessed a group of four shoot at two deer, one in the water and one on the shore. The DNR stopped them at the landing but couldn't do anything because they didn't personally witness what had happened.

crokit 11-29-2009 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by bandgod (Post 3514200)
,,,,,,, The DNR stopped them at the landing but couldn't do anything because they didn't personally witness what had happened.

I'm surprised that the DNR didn't suggest that since YOU witnessed it, a sworn statement from you would have taken care of " witness " issues.

krub6b 11-29-2009 07:22 AM

If they have to be they to see it, then can they do anything about allegations of you shooting holes in people's boats?

GreatHunterWannabe 11-29-2009 09:50 AM

If you can, set up some surveillance and record what is going on.

remmy123 11-29-2009 04:19 PM

in michigan you can float the rivers all you want, but when the shore is private ground you cant shoot them even if they do die in the water. Besides that i dont think you can shoot deer that are swimming if i remember rite. shooting from a river into an unknown piece of private property seem mighty unsafe to me, these people sound like they may be morons.

halfbakedi420 11-29-2009 04:24 PM

sounds like boat sinkin time!!!!!the boat did look like a deer on your property right?!!

bandgod 11-30-2009 01:40 AM

I want to work with the DNR to get a regulation passed like Michigan's where it is illegal to shoot at deer coming off of private land even if it's in the water.

wis_bow_huntr 11-30-2009 03:16 AM

its against the law in Wi to shoot from a boat. The DNR should have investigated this further. A boat even though it may not be motorized is still considered a vehicle. Its also against the law in Wi to shoot a deer while its crossing a water source.

bandgod 11-30-2009 05:27 PM

Where do you see this in the regulations??? I looked and can't find anything. I agree about the boat being a vehicle, but what I've read in the regulations state that for hunting purposes you can shoot from a boat only if forward momentum of the motor has ceased. It's the same case as in duck hunting. I have also not come across anything that talks about shooting a deer while crossing a water source. If you find it, let me know because the DNR still has the names of the people I turned in. The gorup of neighbors around here are planning on posting a lot of signs next year and will be trying to turn anyone in that is even close to breaking a regulation. Again if you can find it in writing please show where so I can read it.