Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Is the PA Rut Over?

Old 11-27-2009, 11:23 AM
Ava
Fork Horn

Default Is the PA Rut Over?

I was asking dad if he uses any calls or rattlers and he came right out and said, "the rut is over".

So my question is, Is it really over for PA?

I want to take my calls and pack rack with me to try it out. He said he wouldn't stop me but he doubts I could get the attention of or call any bucks in with it.

PA Hunters... what are your thoughts on using calls and rattlers on the first day of rifle season or there after? Do you even use calls and rattlers? Could you also give your reasons for using or not using them?

P.S. I'm new at this <first year> so any info you could offer on this would be appreciated. Other Hunters are welcome to comment too. <Don't wanna leave anyone out, especially if you know about the PA Rut> I will be hunting private farm land in 2A.
Old 11-27-2009, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Im next door in NY, 2 days ago I rattled and grunted at a nice 8point that slipped away behind me, to try to bring him back but he acted like he didnt even hear me. that said, I dont think some other bucks wont still respond to it, and it defiantly shouldnt spook em, so why not?
Old 11-27-2009, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Definitely take them! I would not use them the first day to blind call unless you are hunting a very low pressure area. However, I would use them if I saw a buck and needed to get his attention or try to draw him my direction or maybe later in the week as most guys head back to work.
Old 11-27-2009, 12:26 PM
Spike

Default rut in pa

dont worry rut will continue for at leat 3 weeks yet in se pa
Old 11-27-2009, 12:58 PM
Typical Buck

ava...i have already shot bucks during the two weeks of rifle season that were trailing does...scent checking, etc

one poster got it right...make sure it is a low pressure area...i have taken my grunt tube and can call with me and have had many deer, bucks and does, come in before dark, during the morning "blitz" and also in the afternoon

certainly take them, you may never see the big one that is down from you unless you call and bring him your way...good luck!!!
Old 11-27-2009, 01:12 PM
Ava
Fork Horn

Forgive my ignorance but what is a low pressure area?

I already have them packed!
Old 11-27-2009, 01:18 PM
Ava
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by White-tail-deer
... maybe later in the week as most guys head back to work.
As far as we know have the farm to ourselves. I already warned DH that I will be hunting for the first week, everyday... Tuesday we can't get in til after noon but we will be out there everyday!

He told me I was hardcore! He probably ment OBSESSED! Whatever! I will be out there all week and then some until I fill my tags! I don't think I could ever get enough of it!

I am so excited!
Old 11-27-2009, 01:52 PM
Typical Buck

I just found a new scrape today that wasn't there on wed. I had luck in the past pullin bucks in with the doe in heat scent. I think if they are not under heavy hunting pressure the bucks are still looking for unbred does in rifle season.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would bring them for sure! If your hunting an are with low hunting pressure, as you seem to be doing, i wouldnt doubt if bucks would respond to calls at this time of the year. the rut will continue for several weeks still and a lot of does have still not gone into heat. good luck!
Old 11-28-2009, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Low Pressure = Low Hunting Pressure, meaning the deer aren't pushed very hard. If the deer are running in to hunters all day and being shot at, the buck will bed down and not respond to calling much at all. Hope that helps! Good luck, I hope you have a successful hunt!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.