Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Camp Etiquette

Old 11-26-2009, 05:15 AM
Fork Horn

Default Deer Camp Etiquette

I remember reading a article in a magazine several years about camp etiquette, I been looking and can't find anything on it, does anyone know of a website where I can print a page? I like to hang it up in camp.
Thanks
Joe
Old 11-26-2009, 05:32 AM
Dominant Buck

Only one I know is....don't ever look down the outhouse hole.
Old 11-26-2009, 06:45 AM
Fork Horn

Talking McManus has some

really funny ones! The two I remember were:

Keep measuring the distance of your deer kill until your buddies get bored and dress it/drag it back to camp!

and

When it's your turn to haul water remark about the dead cow in the stream where you dipped!
Old 11-26-2009, 11:10 AM
Fork Horn

I found a $hit load of funny ones, but I was looking for a serious one that stated how one should act in someone else camp, or in a newly formed camp.
Thanks
Joe
Old 11-26-2009, 02:07 PM
Spike

http://www.ehow.com/how_2075470_prac...etiquette.html

How to Practice Hunting Etiquette

In almost every other case, etiquette is merely politeness and formal rules of conduct to make sure that no one is offended. While hunting, however, practicing good etiquette can save lives. There are a few rules designed for cleanliness and efficiency of the hunt, as well as a few others designed for safety. The practice of good etiquette can lead to the best hunt possible.

Practice Hunting Safety

1. Enroll in a hunting safety course at the beginning of every season. Even if you already know all the information, it is always a good idea to take a refresher course.

2. Practice basic hunting safety. Remember the little things, like keeping the safety on until the moment before you shoot.

3. Hold your firearm in a non-threatening manner when approached by other hunters, police or conservation officers. If you have a rifle, point it down with your finger away from the trigger. If you are carrying a pistol, put it in its holster.

4. Take your shot only when you know exactly what you are shooting at. Make sure there is absolutely no room for error, that your target is the animal you are after and, most importantly, that there are no people in the foreground or background of your shot.

5. Extinguish all fires. Hunting is such a dangerous activity that non-firearm based safety often goes unnoticed or overlooked.

Practice Hunting Etiquette

6. Leave your camp or hunting area in better condition than when you found it. Never leave trash and, whenever possible, take the initiative by picking up whatever trash you see left out by other hunters.

7. Remember to pick up your shell casings after you fire, as they are often overlooked.

8. Yield to other hunters. If you see that another hunter already has a specific animal in her sights, let the hunter have the animal. Respect your peers as you respect the land and the animals.

9. Understand that not everyone hunts, and some find the idea atrocious. You should not stop hunting, but you should exercise discretion when handling and transporting the carcass of a kill.

10. Use your common sense and be respectful above all things. Not everything prohibited or rude is expressly against the law, but being accommodating to other hunters and the landowners (when applicable) can make it the best experience possible.

AND

http://www.ssaa.org.au/hunting/the-hunters-code.html

The Hunters’ Code

1. I will consider myself an invited guest of the land holder, seeking his or her permission, and so conducting myself that I may be welcome in the future.
2. I will obey the rules of safe gun-handling and courteously but firmly insist that others who hunt with me do the same.
3. I will obey all game laws and regulations and will insist that my companions do likewise.
4. I will do my best to acquire those marksmanship and hunting skills which assure clean, sportsmanlike kills.
5. I will support conservation efforts that can support sustainability for future generations of Australians.
6. I will pass along the attitudes and skills essential to ensuring long term sustainability of Australia’s natural and cultural heritage.

The Ten Commandments of Safety

1. Treat every gun with the respect due a loaded gun.
2. Carry only empty guns, taken down or with the action open, into your car, camp and home.
3. Always be sure that the barrel and action are clear of obstructions.
4. Always carry your gun so that you can control the direction of the muzzle.
5. Be sure of your target before you pull the trigger.
6. Never point a gun at anything you do not want to shoot.
7. Never leave your gun unattended unless you unload it first.
8. Never climb a tree or a fence with a loaded gun.
9. Never shoot at a flat, hard surface or the surface of water.
10. Do not mix gunpowder and alcohol.

Firearm Safety – Basic Fundamentals

a. Never have in your possession a firearm that is loaded, unless you are holding it and ready to shoot.
b. Use only safely constructed firearms in sound condition and the correct ammunition.
c. Always point the muzzle in a safe direction.

Rules of etiquette when hunting

• Leave gates as you find them
• Ask permission to light cooking fires first
• Keep cooking fires as small as possible
• Put your fires out properly before leaving
• Never gather firewood with a chainsaw
• Keep clear of stock routes
• Drive only on defined tracks
• Be especially careful with target identification & danger zones if spotlighting
• Keep away from water troughs
• Never contaminate stock water with soaps
• Take your rubbish away with you
• Ensure the property owner is well aware of your movements
• If you are successful, offer to share your game with the owner
• Report any suspicious or unusual events to the owner
• Don’t keep returning with new people – guard ‘your’ hunting areas jealously!
Old 11-28-2009, 05:08 AM
Spike

What you see at camp and what you hear at camp, stays at camp.