Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
How much "stuff" do U need to remove when cutting up deer meat? >

How much "stuff" do U need to remove when cutting up deer meat?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How much "stuff" do U need to remove when cutting up deer meat?

Old 11-24-2009, 07:36 PM
Spike

Question How much "stuff" do U need to remove when cutting up deer meat?

Hi everybody! I have hunted whitetails for many years now and I was wondering if you guys could provide me your opinions on a certain topic that has been gnawing at the back of my mind for quite a few years. I have always wondered, but never really sought more info on this question: How much "stuff" do you need to/should take off of deer meat when you are butchering it up yourself? By "stuff", I mean how much fat, tendons, slimy stuff, and membranes do you need to or should remove before you take it to the processors? I was never really given a definate answer when I started cutting up my own deer meat but now I am starting to wonder if I am either spending too much time trying to get every little thing off the meat or if I am maybe not getting enough off of it. I have always got good venison back from my processor but as I get older I would really like to know that I am preparing my venison the best that I can. Can you guys let me in on your opinions? I would really greatly appreciate it!!
Old 11-25-2009, 01:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't quite understand you. You spend the time to get the sinew off the meat and remove most of your tendons, etc, the thin silver membrane, THEN you take it to the processors? That don't make sense. You're almost home! All you have to do next is the grinding and cutting up your roasts and steaks... and voilą', you're done... LOL!... besides the wrapping of course.

Maybe you're not sure what do to next? Maybe you have it made into sausage? I could understand that. I don't do sausage on my own. Never learned or no one taught me.

Anyway, sounds like you're way ahead of most people. When you do the stuff you're doing, you are removing the source of the "gamy" taste many people complain about. You ask if you're removing too much or not enough, but don't say how much you are doing. For me the backstraps are the easiest. Once I remove them, I may cut them in 1/2 or 1/3's depending on how big/long they are, then I'll start cutting away the membrane from the meat. It's kinda like removing fish skin from the fillet. I'll start like in the middle of the meat and cut to my right. I'll slide the knife under the membrane and keep slicing until I exit the right side. I'll try and stay just under the membrane leaving as much meat as I can. Once I'm done, I'll cut another parallel strip until everything to the right side is clean, then I'll turn it around 180° and keep cutting to the right until that's clean. When that side is done, I'll flip the meat over to do the other side. The more membrane you cut off, the more pure your meat will taste void of the "gamy" flavor. The more you cut off, the faster your grinding will be because that's what clogs up in your grinder.

Most all the meat I'm cutting is just like above. I work with chunks I can handle easily on my big plastic cutting board. It's about 22" x 14". Once a person first learns this, it's slow going and one almost feels like it's not worth it. However, the meat tastes much better and once you've stuck with it long enough to get good, you get better, more efficient and faster at it.

On the bigger cuts of meat, like on the front shoulders and rear leg shoulders, I'll separate the meat groups by hand with just a little cutting here and there. Sometimes I leave the roast section together that I can get off the back hind quarters. I can also turn this into steaks if I wish...even grind and into burger.

I hang my deer from the neck. For me it's the easiest to handle. I can do the backstraps easier and the body hangs more natural to work with. As I'm removing the meat, this is where I remove the fat. I place the meat groups/chunks in some big Tupperware bowls. A trick I learned is that if it's too warm outside to let the deer age a few days, I can do all this I'm talking about now and let the meat stay in the refrigerator to age there. What I like is how the blood runs out from the meat too. I believe the excess blood gives a gamy flavor as well.

As I remove the meat from the carcass, I cut off any excess fat at this point and remove any hair "if" it has any on it, but if you do it right, your meat should be clean to begin with. When the meat goes into the bowls, it's good and clean, except the membrane and sinew that needs to be removed next.

You only get "good venison back from my processor" because of the prep work you do that they won't do there! That's right. Your processor will NOT take the time to remove all the silver membrane. And if one is taking in the whole deer for processing, ever see them cut the meat? They do with it a bandsaw. That saw will leave tiny bone fragments in your meat along with spreading bone marrow in your meat as well. These are things that also contribute to your venison not tasting pure.

Be sure to use a sharp knife. Others have mentioned using a fillet knife. While I don't use a fillet knife, the knives I do use, do look like a fillet knife. LOL! When the blade can bend a little, it helps to direct the knife's cutting direction and slip under the silver membrane. I have 4-5 knives that are identical, but often only use one and keep sharpening on the spot as it dulls a little.

I'm curious, are you getting to the stage where the membrane, sinew and tendons, etc, are removed from the meat, then sending to the processor?

If so, why do you send it to the processor? For cutting into steaks? Grinding into burger? For freezer wrapping?

Hey, you pose some good questions. When one can do their own processing, it gives a feeling of accomplishment and good feelings that you know it's done right. You also save money and can package it the way you want it.

iSnipe
Old 11-25-2009, 03:22 AM
Dominant Buck

Sniper said it all. You are almost done why not finish it up and save the processor fees. Answer to your question is get all the non meat stuff off and your end product will be the best. Hang time is also important if you have a walk in cooler or the temps are suitable. I have one hanging since last friday right now in the garage. Temps are headed to the 50's today and tomorrow is Tday so I will butcher today and grind on Friday.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

And there you have it.

Recently I did read that it is not necessary to remove silverskin before freezing. I have done this a few times and did not notice a difference in flavor. It is easier to remove after the meat thaws. Definitely remove it before cooking. All fat must go before freezing.