Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Mossberg 500???

Old 11-24-2009, 10:33 AM
Fork Horn

Default Mossberg 500???

I have a Mossberg 500 with the rifled barrell and I cant find a sabot that shoots well out of it. I have had a lot of sucess with the litefields, but they dont shoot well out of this barrell for me. They shoot great out of my buddies, but not mine. I will get a couple shots in a nice group and then I get a flier. Then I wont get a group at all for a few shots. Any suggestions on a sabot?
Old 11-24-2009, 11:20 AM
Spike

I use Winchest Super X in the gray box. @ 3/4 in. and the do well enough for me.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also use Winchester Super X foster slugs. Some will tell you, you can't shoot fosters through a rifled barrel. BS. Thats why they make cleaning kits for guns. You will lead up the barrel but they shot the best out of my 500. I also found that Remington Sluggers, another foster slug shoot the best out of my 1187 with a rifles barrel.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:10 PM
Spike

Remington fosters outta mine. 2" groups at 80 yards. I clean it after every hunting season with a lead disolver. Works awesome and kills deer every year. Best part is the price of the slugs!
Old 11-24-2009, 02:16 PM
Fork Horn

If you are getting nice groups with the first few shots than you are good to go. With Lightfields and other sabot rounds the sabot is plastic and it fouls the barrel some after a few rounds. Try swabbing the barrel after every 3-4 rounds and see how it works.

After all, when you are hunting how many rounds do you typically fire?
Old 11-24-2009, 02:22 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Bowflex
If you are getting nice groups with the first few shots than you are good to go. With Lightfields and other sabot rounds the sabot is plastic and it fouls the barrel some after a few rounds. Try swabbing the barrel after every 3-4 rounds and see how it works.

After all, when you are hunting how many rounds do you typically fire?
I was thinking the same thing reading the posts on this. How often do you walk into the woods with a gun that's had four or five rounds put through it so recently the barrel is still hot? Probably next to never. I go by what the first round or two gives me with a cold barrel, by the time I get to the third or so round I'd hope it's at point blank range putting one out of it's misery.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Those Lightfields should be awesome. I would also try the Winchester Partition Golds... a VERY impressive slug thru rifled barrels!
Old 11-24-2009, 05:04 PM
Spike

My 500 shoots like crap from the rifled barrel as well. I tried many different slugs but cannot get it to group more than 2 or 3. Wasted a lot of time on this gun. Bought a Super Nova 3 years ago and never looked back.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

My Mossy 500 shoots BuckHammers and both the Brenneke Magnums very well. My nephews new Mossy 500 shoots the Brenneke Mags well also (he hasn't tried any BuckHammers yet).
Old 11-25-2009, 01:56 AM
Typical Buck

mine would shoot 3 inch groups at 100 yards with lightfields

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.