Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
New to hunting...needs gun advice.. >

New to hunting...needs gun advice..

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New to hunting...needs gun advice..

Old 11-24-2009, 11:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

+ 1 for a 12 gauge auto-loader with two barrels.

One smooth bore and one rifled.

This set-up can handle everything given the proper distance.

Good to have anyway down the road.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:18 PM
Spike

Exclamation

Thanks all, again, for your input. At my local pawn shop, I just found a Mossberg 500A with a smoothbore barrel and full-choke. They have it priced at $199. I checked it out, and even with little experience could tell it was well taken care of prior to being pawned. Should I grab it while the grabbing is good? I'd appreciate the feedback.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BlessedBeggar
Thanks all, again, for your input. At my local pawn shop, I just found a Mossberg 500A with a smoothbore barrel and full-choke. They have it priced at $199. I checked it out, and even with little experience could tell it was well taken care of prior to being pawned. Should I grab it while the grabbing is good? I'd appreciate the feedback.
Walmart will have the same gun but with interchangeable choke tubes for about the same price, I'd pass on this gun.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:30 PM
Fork Horn

remington 870 with lightfield slugs you cant beat it.
Old 11-24-2009, 05:41 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Ammo Sphere
What type of hunting are you looking to do? Just deer?
Deer, turkey, and small game...and comparable gun with interchangeable barrels at walmart is 340....looked today.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:02 PM
Fork Horn

The gun at the pawn shop sounds like a decent deal. I believe that gun does have interchangeable barrels. If so, check to see how much a slug barrel would be and do your comparison from there.

The full choke will be good on turkeys. If you can find a slug barrel for a cheap price, I'd go for it. However, if the slug barrel costs $100 or more, I'd buy a brand new gun as Centaur suggested.
Old 11-24-2009, 07:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

That 500 is a good deal. The only thing I'd suggest is once you get a little bit more cash check out the bargain cave at Cabelas and get a rifled slug barrel. Until then buy rifled slugs.
Old 11-25-2009, 06:50 AM
Fork Horn

I would suggest the remington 870 combo.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:29 AM
Fork Horn

if ur just going to buy 1 gun get you a remington 870 or 1187, you can hunt everything with that.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:38 AM
Spike

I would suggest a Remington 870. I have had one for almost 10 years now and never had any problem out of it. And ill be the first to tell you that I dont do the best i can to take care of that gun. Even with the abuse, it has never failed me.

If i was going to buy a rifle i would go with a .243. I have always been of the mind that i needed a larger gun, like a .270 or a 30-06. I own a .270 and just recently purchased a Savage Model 111 .243 for my Fiancee. Once i bought the gun i fell in love with it. They have that gun at Dicks for a little less than $350, and it comes with a scope. But I will tell you that the scope that comes with it is extremely cheap. I never even took the scope out of the box and went out and bought a Nikon to put on it.

If i had to decide between a rifle and a shotgun, I would take my 870 any day of the week. It is by far the most versatile gun I own.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.