Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Which side has five on your mainframe nine?? >

Which side has five on your mainframe nine??

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Which side has five on your mainframe nine??

Old 11-24-2009, 04:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

The 9 pointers that I see down in SE Pennsylvania have mostly had the G-4 on the right side. But, upstate, I have seen a few with the G-4 on the left.

I'm sure it's just like left-handed, right handed. Blonde or brunette. No rhyme or reason. Depends on the genetics of that deer.

Here's an idea. do a Google search for 9 point buck. Choose images. See if there is a pattern in all the pictures or if it's totally random. I'm sure you'll get to see about 100 pictures of 9 pointers.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:13 AM
Typical Buck

My typical 8 point has an extra point off the G2 that actually splits in 2. That is on the left side of the deer, so it is on my right when looking at it face on, My buddy shot a 9 point the other day and the odd point is on the left also.

When a deer has damage to a leg it typically causes abnormality in the rack, in the form of missing points, extra points etc. When the rear legs are affected you typically see rack abnormality on the opposite side antler growth. When the front leg sustains damage, you typically see abnormal growth on the same side I believe. Of course there is no guarantee that this will be the case every time, but from what I have read and observed it seems to be the case most of the time.

Another possible point is blood flow and how deer lay down. If you look at a deer rack, you will often notice that one side of the antler is curled in (or pushed up higher) more towards the center line. This is often the result of which side the deer sleeps on, as the rack while growing is soft and will hit the forest floor and actually be formed over the growing period and have one side actually pushed in. Another thing I noticed is the G1 or brow tines are smaller on the side with the fewer points on both deer.

On my other racks, standard 8 point racks, and each one sports a smaller brow tine on the side that has its main beam pushed in or up, indicating his favorite sleep or resting position.

Is it possible that on some deer the blood flow is just a little restricted due to the time spent on that side? Enough to curb the flow of blood and nutrients to that antler causing it not to develop as many points?

Just speculation on my part, I haven' tread anything that would prove it out, yet anyway!

Bandgod, maybe rephrasing your question and getting participants to look at their mounts and racks, would help figure this thing out.

I would maybe ask if the side that sports fewer points looks like the sleeping side, and if the side with fewer points has a smaller brow tine, again the sleep side will be pushed in towards the nose centerline or pushed up higher than the opposite main beam. Just looking at over all exact measurements as far as total inches might help to figure this thing out.

Very good question by the way! I enjoyed working through it and have thought about the same thing myself before as you can probably tell by my answer.
Old 11-24-2009, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by iSnipe
It's obvious you're reading into something here that is not there. It's not my fault you goofed on what you "thought" you were reading. From now on I highly suggest you know the situation before you make comments that don't make sense... like you have above. Be like what? Ask questions? Give me a break. LOL! I suggest it's best to leave me alone. Thanks.

I see the only logical answer to this question is about genetics, but I felt it was obvious, so I didn't mention it, plus it was never asked if it was. Therefore, since I feel genetics is the only obvious answer, there may be more than the obvious... and I wouldn't know that unless I ASK.

Since I know nchawkeye knows his stuff, from reading several of his replies, he's the one that iterated the obvious, so I pondered him a question, if not for genetics, what else could it be? Besides, his reply doesn't fit the context of the line of questioning. Nothing was mentioned nor asked about genetics, but if there was some sort of statistic out there that showed having an extra point be on one side more than the other. He states on a farm sometimes it's on the right and sometimes on the left. Well? Of course. That's a given, but it doesn't answer the question or tries to... just some comments.

iSnipe
The whole comment about you thinking it wasn't worth mentioning, was a slam and you know it!! You can hide behind all your blabber, and jargon!! I felt it was an unwelcome comment, and maybe I did read it wrong, but I doubt it!! I see many of your comments, and notice that many of them have rude conintations and underlying sarcasm. So maybe your just fooling yourself.

THANKS, your friend, SRB
Old 11-24-2009, 09:34 PM
Typical Buck

Interesting question, but I bet there'd be a pretty even split.

I've shot 10 deer with 9-point main frames. The 5-point side was on the left of 6 of them, on the right of the other 4.