Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Buck had already shed its antlers >

Buck had already shed its antlers

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Buck had already shed its antlers

Old 11-23-2009, 02:11 AM
Fork Horn

Default Buck had already shed its antlers

What causes a buck to shed its antlers so early?
Opening day in S. Wisc. I shot with my 44 mag revolver what I thought was a big doe with bumps on its forehead or a deformed buck. Turned out it was a buck that had already shed its antlers. The so called bumps I saw was the pronounced forehead on a buck, actually between the eye and where the antlers had been attached. The holes in its hide going to the skull were only an inch to an inch and a half in diameter, so I assume it was a yearling buck. Its wasn't dripping blood or anything but looked if it had happened in the last couple of days since it wasn't scabbed over.
It must be the pits to be a teenager running around the woods during the rut thinking you just might get lucky and then your antlers fall off. Now the bucks are coming up to sniff you. And then even worse somebody snuffs you out with a dirty harry gun.

Dan
Old 11-23-2009, 03:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lightbulb

The main reason I heard is lack of nutrition. It's hearsay, as I don't really know. Typically the timing of when the antlers are suppose to come off, is when they are done breeding. Maybe he's had a good year?

Antlers fall off anywhere from December to March. I've seen some guys walk up to their buck, of which have been substantially large racked, and pull the head up for a good camera pose and have an antler pop off! LOL! Have also seen hunters cringe when their buck takes off running after a shot because they know late season, a buck can knock his antler(s) off when he finally meets the ground.

The little guy also may have gotten away with his life after an encounter with a vehicle?

iSnipe
Old 11-23-2009, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

vehicle,mal-nutrition,or a BAD!!fight with another deer
Old 11-23-2009, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hunting Kuk! LOL! I over-looked the obvious. Yeah, he may have been in an all knock-out brawl. You'd think he got his butt whooped, but what if his antlers are IN the other deer? LOL!

iSnipe