Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
My first rattling buck (and biggest one too) >

My first rattling buck (and biggest one too)

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

My first rattling buck (and biggest one too)

Old 11-22-2009, 04:38 AM
Fork Horn

Talking My first rattling buck (and biggest one too)

Well yestarday morning I decided to hit the woods early even though this year I haven't had any luck in the AM. I told the wife I would only be gone an hour or 2 so I could go Christmas shopping with her. I go to a 45 acre piece I have to hunt and sit in some long grass on the edge of a 20 acre field. I rattle right at first shooting light and wait.... nothing. After about 30 minutes I rattle again and grunt a little after. I wait and again nothing. Being as I have never seen a deer after rattling I said screw it I'm leaving. I sneak to the left to check a small field behind me and as I'm walking back to where I was sitting I look to the far end of the field, about 350 yards, and see something moving and it has HORNS! I go into holy crap mode and put a small stalk on him thinking he was going to stay at that end of field. As I get to the tree I had picked out and come up to shoot he is standing in the middle of the field looking at me about 130 yards away. We both must of had the same ideal of getting closer! I come up on the right side of the tree and there is a bush between us. I ease back down and come up on the left side of the tree. I can see he is a nice shooter and my heart is pounding out of my chest. I finally find a clearing and let one fly. I heard the impact (another first) and he loped across the field and into the woods. I found him about 150 yards away. I hit a little far back and barley hit the last 3 inches of his liver. Not a lot of blood on the ground, I had to track his hoof tracks in the field but once I got to the woods I could see blood on every tree he passed.

He is a main frame 10 with 4 stickers around the bases. He is a young deer but it was unlikely he would have made it through the season if I had passed. The hunt club owns all around that piece of land and ran dogs on it an hour after I loaded this one up. If he could have got one more year of growing he would have been a monster. But, he is a monster to me so now he his in the freezer!
Old 11-22-2009, 06:12 AM
Dominant Buck

Great deer and goes to show to at least try rattling as another way to get the advantage. I sometimes give it a try and once in a while it works out.
Old 11-22-2009, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

NICE BUCK!!!!!do you know what he scores yet?
Old 11-22-2009, 09:12 AM
Ava
Fork Horn

NICE!! Congratulations!
Old 11-22-2009, 09:21 AM
Dominant Buck

Awesome!!..............Congrat's
Old 11-22-2009, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome buck, congrats!!
Old 11-22-2009, 10:30 AM
Fork Horn

I've never had rattling work for me but I still try once in a while. The thing that usually come sneaking in when I rattle is another hunter, which takes me completely out of hunting mode and into poacher prosecuting mode, which makes me almost as happy, except it ruins my hunt for the day. Why is it that a person who would never dream of rummaging through your house or car when you leave it parked, will go walking onto your property without thinking it's wrong? It's exactly the same thing of coarse, it's not their property and they have no right to see it, touch it, or take anything from it without your permission first.
I think that a poacher/tresspasser is a thief who would steal anything from you, if they had the right opportunity. They probably dream of stealing your stuff all the time, except the greater chance of getting caught keeps them afraid to try it.

So, Poachers/Tresspassers = Cowardly Thieves. Yep! I think thats about right.
Old 11-22-2009, 03:40 PM
Typical Buck

Nice buck and gratz. Cool story.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

nice buck congrats
Old 11-23-2009, 02:17 AM
Fork Horn

Wow very good looking buck man!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.