Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Good Day in Va. until I got home..... >

Good Day in Va. until I got home.....

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Good Day in Va. until I got home.....

Old 11-23-2009, 04:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by grover92k
I'm new here but here is a report from The Washington Post on what happened: washingtonpost.com

Seems he was hunting without a license, on county property (where hunting isn't allowed) and there is no record of him having ever taken a hunter safety course. He even had a scope on his gun.
Not having a hunting license had nothing to do with this. As long as he stayed on his familys' property(which it appears he did not) he did not need a hunting license.

Had he identified his target before he pulled the trigger, this would have never happened.

Last edited by VAhuntr; 11-23-2009 at 04:04 AM.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Stonewall308
The bottom line is that if you can see well enough to acquire a target in your sights, you can see well enough to identify it.
Cow poop.

Sounds good when you first read it, but I've been the unlucky recipient of having a serious vision problem only a few years ago; thank God that's a problem since solved. I could get my crosshairs on what I was shooting, but it was like looking through layers of clear plastic. While I could aim what I wanted to hit, it was not always easy to "identify" exactly what I was aiming at! I quit hunting early that year because I wasn't enjoying myself in the woods.

Just because you can acquire a target in one's sights, does NOT mean it can be identified! People have vision problems all the time. Look how many people wear eye glasses, not to mention all the eye diseases out there.

I was not there when the shooting happened, so I can only speculate and make assumptions, but we know the thing about assumptions, so I'll pass on those comments.

iSnipe
Old 11-23-2009, 05:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

The situation with unsafe hunters is worse than you would imagine. My best friend was shot and almost killed in a hunting "accident". Ever since that happened I have made a point of scrutinizing everyone that I meet in the woods, and quite frankly it's scary. I'm not saying that everyone is unsafe, or even that the majority is, but even just 1% is too many. Unfortunately it took a hunting accident for me to open my eyes, I just wish that every hunter would just take a few minutes to think about their habits and if they could be made safer. There isn't a deer in the woods that's worth the risk of killing another person.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:46 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by iSnipe
Cow poop.
Just because you can acquire a target in one's sights, does NOT mean it can be identified! People have vision problems all the time. Look how many people wear eye glasses, not to mention all the eye diseases out there.
iSnipe
I'm going to have to disagree here. If you have vision problems that prevent you from clearly identifying your target in the sights, you shouldn't be shooting until that problem has been corrected. Period. You cannot legally (or ethically, for that matter) drive a vehicle without 20/20 vision, either with or without correction, and shooting is no different. Would you be defending an uncorrected visually impaired driver?

Poor vision is not a valid excuse.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:48 AM
Fork Horn

I should add that based on this from the article:

She grabbed two friends, heading across the smooth green soccer field behind the dorms and into the woods. Goode wore a white shirt. The others wore white and brown.
the college students didn't exactly exercise good judgment either. Anyone entering the woods during the firearms season must wear blaze orange. That should be common sense. Still, this doesn't absolve the shooter of his responsibility, and he should pay dearly for his costly mistake.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by UPHunter08
I'm going to have to disagree here. If you have vision problems that prevent you from clearly identifying your target in the sights, you shouldn't be shooting until that problem has been corrected. Period. You cannot legally (or ethically, for that matter) drive a vehicle without 20/20 vision, either with or without correction, and shooting is no different. Would you be defending an uncorrected visually impaired driver?

Poor vision is not a valid excuse.
Ageed. This type of accident is inexcusable, a human should never be mistaken for any type of game animal.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:47 PM
Spike

Even through blurry eys a human looks totally different than a deer. No horizontal back line,and a person walks diffrently. So in a quite woods they could not be heard talking at all. NO excuse. None what so ever. Whatever the law allows is what he should get.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

The story I got...

The man was hunting 1 mile off college campus (illegal). Before he went out, he was smoking dope. He mistaked one woman for a deer shot killed her, the bullet exited and injured another.

Idiot.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:56 PM
Typical Buck

Default Dog made off with the goods!

I live in a log home out in the country and its ususal practice to undress from my hunting gear on the front porch, besides taking my scentlok stuff off in the field and putting in sealed bag. I untied my muddyboots, set down on my front porch my pack with real bone that I use to rattle with, all either in storage bag, or antlers and boots beside it. I have been doing this for years.

Sunday Morning I found a full tenderloin and hinquarters, nice and cut, bone was sawed, so you knew it came from somewhere, because my neighbors within 100 acres dont hunt.

To make it worse, my entire bag was gone with scentlock suit, GPS, my backpack was scattered throughout the yard, my blackpowder and primers are ruined by the rain. and one boot (lacrosse $150) was nowhere in sight!

All of my equipment, estimated to be around $600 is gone. The sealed bag was never recovered.

And people wonder why the big deal is with the dogs running rampant wherever they want, and the owners dont evn need your invite to retrieve either their dog or harvest.

Yep, to saythe least, Im POBI (pissed off beyond imagination) I have a trick for the dog/dogs if I catch them in my trash or stealing boots and bags off my porch!

watch your stuff, even in the rural areas!
Old 11-23-2009, 08:39 PM
Typical Buck

Binoculars have been the best investment I have made for hunting, how you mistake a human for a deer I'll never know.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.