HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Bad experience on public lands (IDIOTS) redeemed by 9-pointer (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/310219-bad-experience-public-lands-idiots-redeemed-9-pointer.html)

7.62NATO 11-19-2009 06:53 AM

Bad experience on public lands (IDIOTS) redeemed by 9-pointer

Okay, it has only taken ONE time for me to visit public lands on opening day of firearms season to know that I will NEVER do that again. This is only my second season of hunting, and last season I didn't get into it until late November when I was invited by a buddy. Once I went with him, I was hooked! I'm just bummed that I've missed out on 20+ years of hunting!!

Anyway, I scouted out Pocahontas State Park a few days before the opener and found a real nice spot a couple miles back...a ravine with a gully running through. Found a nice tree to blend into and built a little blind there. Got up WAY too early on Saturday and was in my spot by 5:15. 10 minutes before sunrise, I see another flashlight on the other side of the ravine, about 50 or so yards to my right. Every time his flashlight was pointed in my direction, I flashed mine back at him, as if to say, "You're barking up the wrong tree and you're TOO close." He finally flashed his light back at me, which I interpreted as, "I see you, I'm moving."

Well, after an hour and a half had passed, I saw antlers moving in the brush to my right. I didn't have a shot yet, but anticipated I would. Then, BLAM!! The guy was still in the same spot!! The buck came zooming past me but I didn't have a good angle to shoot. As he passed, I saw he was gut shot. At that point, I would have taken any shot (as long as the area behind was clear) at him but it was too late. The guy makes his way near me and I signaled him over to show him the direction of the buck. I told him the animal was gut shot and he said that he was aiming for the heart but when he attempted to shoot, the safety was on. So I guess he just decided to shoot at anything brown after disengaging.

I told him exactly where I saw the buck go and in which direction. The guy thanked me and continued to look for the deer, but not where I told him to. He never recovered him. If the buck went running for a long time, it's likely he was caught because the woods were so packed (I hope).

So another couple of hours passed and I saw a doe wandering on the other side of the ravine. I had my gun on her, but she looked small so I was pretty sure I was going to let her go. She disappeared behind a tree. I was waiting for her to come back into my field of view, but she never showed again. I was focused so hard in the distance that she surprised the crap out of me when I stopped looking only to find her 10 feet in front of me!! She was just looking at me, wagging her tail, with not a care in the world. I decided to let her pass and when she turned, I noticed her rear leg bleeding slightly. I was pissed. I procrastinated and then took the shot when she was about 50 feet out or so. She went right down.

A few minutes later, the idiot who shot her came calling for her (like she'd come like a dog or something), hooting and hollering, totally disturbing my space. I signaled him up to me, and he shouted back, "WHAT??" I grunted back to him, "COME HERE." I asked him if he was looking for a doe and he said that he was. I told him that he shot her in the leg and he said, "Dang man, yeah I sure busted up that tree!!", as if to imply that she was behind it and he just decided to shoot. I told him to take her and as soon as I did, he yelled into his walkie, "Hey boys, we got some meat!!"

Then, he threw her over his shoulders to carry her out (hmmm...hope another one like him didn't see her!!) and gets down to the gully and throws her across. Except he didn't throw her far enough and she landed right in the water. Making a total ruckus the entire way out. No respect for wildlife, my hunting space, or anything else.

Then of course, there were a bunch of guys I heard off in the distance pretending they were dogs (since dogs aren't allowed), howling most of the day long to stir up the deer.

I got one good chance at a 4 to 6 point buck a little later, but when the time came to squeeze the trigger, I decided to wait to see if anything bigger was behind him. He was the last I saw of the day and was a little regretful of not taking him.

However, had I taken him, I probably wouldn't have gone out yesterday and picked out this big boy! Okay, his 9-point rack isn't huge (20-inch spread), but he's big to me. He's my first real buck (last season I took a 3-pointer during a population control hunt...what's up with me and odd-pointed bucks??) and I'm pretty proud of him. And he was heavy!

I went to the exact same spot I did on Saturday because I knew it was good. I was using some estrus scent and a can call. Every 20 minutes I hit the can call, but at about an hour after sunrise, I decided to blow in it to make it a bit louder. I was worried when I did it though because it changed the tone a bit. A minute after the call, I saw him come over the opposite ridge, about 100 yards to my left. He hopped over the gully and slowed down a bit. I thought I might be busted, but he proceeded. However, all I could see was brown until he moved to this tiny crack in my field of view and I saw his complete shoulder. I took the shot immediately and he went right down on the spot and never attempted to get up. I ran over to him and he was only twitching a bit, not breathing. Double-lung shot with my Marlin 512 Slugmaster, open sights.

The only problem is that I had to drag his ass up the hill and about 2 miles back to my vehicle, and it was as very hilly path!! He barely fit in my back seat...I need to get me a truck!! :bash:

remmy123 11-19-2009 07:05 AM

nice story, and nice buck, congrats

DannyD 11-19-2009 07:11 AM

That is a beauty!!! congrats

jeep4x4greg 11-19-2009 07:12 AM

nice buck and great story!

public land can be a real test of patience..thats for sure!

UncleNorby 11-19-2009 08:16 AM

Nice deer.

I shot a 9 pointer last Sunday with.................my Marlin 512 Slugmaster. What slugs do you shoot?

7.62NATO 11-19-2009 08:22 AM

Thanks everyone.

Uncle - HA! What a coincidence. I decided to try the new Remington Premier Tips. They grouped really well at the range. These are the ONLY slugs that this gun likes out of 5 brands I've tried. Well, the Remington Copper Solids grouped okay too. As you can see from the pic, they don't leave the golfball-sized hole that some slugs do (e.g. Lightfields), but man, he was devastated on the inside. A few bones were utterly demolished. What's interesting is that you can see both the entry and exits wounds in the pics above. No gaping holes whatsoever.

Hey, I think you're the guy that helped me a couple of weeks ago with my sighting in problem. Thanks again!

UncleNorby 11-19-2009 08:34 AM

Oh yeah, that's right.

Mine likes Winchester BRI style Sabots (2.75" and 3") and Brenneke 2.75" KO Sabots.

What velocity are your Remingtons supposed to be?

whitetailharley 11-19-2009 09:28 AM

nice tine length, nice spred, and decent mass, but where is the 9th point. Not trying to be critical or anything. Very nice buck none the less.

stretch56 11-19-2009 09:40 AM

congrats on your buck

turkey guide 11-19-2009 09:54 AM

Good deer, patience can pay off! I hear you loud and clear about the problems with public land. I talked to several guys this week, having many of the same problems in my area. I've only tried hunting public land once, for turkeys, because I had no place to go at all because of all the land being leased up to outfitters. It was so crowded and downright dangerous with practically no chance to kill a bird. I decided then that I must find a way to lease my own land and get other hunters to help pay for it. It was a, " you can't beat em so you might as well join them" sort of decision, and it wasn't easy to do. But I now have nearly a thousand acres of private land, and I choose who hunts with me, and I make a little cash for hunting season too.