Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Bad experience on public lands (IDIOTS) redeemed by 9-pointer >

Bad experience on public lands (IDIOTS) redeemed by 9-pointer

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Bad experience on public lands (IDIOTS) redeemed by 9-pointer

Old 11-19-2009, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by whitetailharley
nice tine length, nice spred, and decent mass, but where is the 9th point. Not trying to be critical or anything. Very nice buck none the less.
Sorry, bad pics. It's behind the bay antler on his left side, about 2 inches long. I didn't realize you couldn't see it when the pictures were taken.

Edit: Got my antler anatomy mixed up. It's between the royal and surroyal antler. I think that's right. Between the 3rd and 4th one.

Last edited by 7.62NATO; 11-19-2009 at 10:30 AM.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by UncleNorby
Oh yeah, that's right.

Mine likes Winchester BRI style Sabots (2.75" and 3") and Brenneke 2.75" KO Sabots.

What velocity are your Remingtons supposed to be?
The premier tips are 1875...or 1850. Shoot, I forget. One of the two. 385 grain sabot.

EDIT: 1850fps. Which reminds me, I left my shell in the woods. Whoops!

Last edited by 7.62NATO; 11-19-2009 at 10:26 AM.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your story is an all too common one on public land. I will gladly pay for a lease and private land to hunt and not have to contend with as many people.
Old 11-19-2009, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great story, great buck. Congratz!
Old 11-19-2009, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am not one to point fingers, but I don't think you were "a couple of miles back."...... I go back that far and a lot of time further and have NEVER seen people like you are describing that far from a road. It sounds more like you were right off of a road? Being a new hunter you shot a heck of a buck, my first was much, much smaller...however, if you want to avoid crowds like you described then I suggest really going back 2 miles from a road and I promise you won't have people all over your hunting spot
Old 11-19-2009, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

JNTURK,

He was probably back in 2 miles... from his side. LOL! The other fellows probably came from a nearby road about 300 yards away! I've done something similar where I crossed a swamp in waders to get to a place, only to find a road on the other side once I got there. LOL!

Nice buck 7.62NATO. I was going to ask about the 9th point too, but you got that covered.

Not sure if you know, but antler tines are usually called G's. The G1 is the brow tines, but no one says "G1". The #2 tines are called the G2, #3 are G3, etc, etc.

Good story, lots of action, but probably not all the kind you were looking for!

iSnipe
Old 11-19-2009, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by JNTURK
I am not one to point fingers, but I don't think you were "a couple of miles back."...... I go back that far and a lot of time further and have NEVER seen people like you are describing that far from a road. It sounds more like you were right off of a road? Being a new hunter you shot a heck of a buck, my first was much, much smaller...however, if you want to avoid crowds like you described then I suggest really going back 2 miles from a road and I promise you won't have people all over your hunting spot
I was anywhere from 1.5 to 2 miles away from the nearest legal parking area. I knew that if I got something it would be hell to drag it that far, but the spot was so nice I didn't care (at the time). The night before, I searched satellite imagery and found a place I could park that was just under a mile away from my spot. I drove to that area the morning of only to be confronted with a NO TRESPASSING sign. I'm sure I could have parked there without any trouble, and people may have. Keep in mind I only encountered two people, and one of them was not stationed anywhere near me. He was just looking for his doe.

iSnipe - what does the G stand for?
Old 11-19-2009, 12:09 PM
Kid
Typical Buck

There's an old joke you need to remember when hunting public land. How far can you walk into the woods? Half way, after that you're walking out. I agree he walked in so far he almost walked out. Jerks are jerks, whether they're on public land or private. I am glad it turned out good for you, 7.62 NATO. Congrats on a nice Buck.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
iSnipe - what does the G stand for?
About 60 years ago some guys of the Boone & Crockett club created a scoring system for antlers. They got this scoring sheet that had letters for certain lines.

Line G was the line where one was to input all the antler points... hence the term "G".

iSnipe
Old 11-19-2009, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not possible to have been on the other half of half-way in. The top quarter of the park, where hunting is allowed, is met by a natural barrier to the south (lake). To the east is private land.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.