Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

carolina hunter dies

Old 11-18-2009, 02:08 PM
Typical Buck

Default carolina hunter dies

I just walked in on an akward situation today. A friend of mine just learned his son died in a treestand accident. Anyways, I am wondering if anyone has heard anything about this, he lives in one of the carolinas and I believe he died this morning, I wasn't going to ask.

Anyways, I am not going to post his name but his initials are J.K.

If anyone know what happened,Could you please let me know if any of you hear something.

thanks,
Steve
Old 11-18-2009, 02:12 PM
Typical Buck

sorry to hear that ...but i am sure he was not wearing his SAFTY-HARNESS ..
Old 11-18-2009, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

safety harness......12 or more people have died from havin on a safety harness...80% woulda lived if they jus hit the ground....the safety harnesses w/o a "let down" strap are killin people via blood poisoning!!!!they hang there, blood doesnt circulate right and they die...go figure...

sry to hear bout ur buddies son
Old 11-18-2009, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not exactly "blood poisoning." But you are correct you can die from hanging in a harness for too long due to a thing called suspension trauma. What happens is the blood circulates down to the legs, and with the straps around your legs, the blood cannot circulate back up the organs and upper extremities. Thus, causing you to slowly but surely pass out, slip into a coma, and die. This ofcourse if you dont find help soon enough or are unable to get back onto your stand. Hunter safety system comes with a suspension strap that is hooked to the back. In the case of a fall you can use this to stand on with a foot and relieve the pressure on your legs from the harness straps. This will allow the blood to circulate a bit and prolong suspension trauma. Again, if you are unable to get back onto your platform another thing to do is lay back (if possible) or try to pick up your legs above your head. This will allow the blood that is pooled in the legs to return to the organs and upper extremities.
Within 7 minutes of hanging in a harness like this suspension trauma has begun.

Obviously a harness is not a save all. Sometimes I have wondered, well if I fall and I cannot get back onto my platform, I'll have to cut my strap and fall anyways. (otherwise you would die from suspension trauma)

The important thing to rememeber is that in most cases your stand itself has not fallen and it allows you the chance to crawl back onto your stand if possible. If not, it still allows you the chance to get out your cell phone and call for help. If all else fails, and you have no means for help, it gives you the opportunity to brace yourself for the fall and try to fall in a way that will not paralyze or kill you. (after you've cut the strap)

If you ever do fall, try to convert your falling energy into a rotational energy by hitting the ground and rolling or something of the sort. If you try to catch all of your weight with your legs you'll surely break them and be stranded anyways. Believe it or not there IS a proper way to fall. I think ARMY and Marines learn these techniques.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:36 PM
Fork Horn

I'm extremely sorry to hear about your friend and his son. I know how hard it is to lose somebody that close. I'm sorry, I haven't heard anything regarding the situation.

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
safety harness......12 or more people have died from havin on a safety harness...80% woulda lived if they jus hit the ground....the safety harnesses w/o a "let down" strap are killin people via blood poisoning!!!!they hang there, blood doesnt circulate right and they die...go figure...

sry to hear bout ur buddies son
Halfbaked.... Sometimes I disagree with what you post but don't comment because this is a forum that encourages opinion. However, in this case you are quoting statistics so I feel I have to chime in.

Statistics are almost always misleading. Especially the type that you reference in your post. What you fail to consider is the number of lives that are saved by safety harnesses. This is a number that is impossible to quantify because I'm sure that very few people that have experienced a fall while wearing a harness has notified any statasticians about their experience.

Do you really think that only 12 people have fallen from their treestand while wearing a harness? How many have died or been paralyzed from a fall without wearing a harness?

It's unfortunate that stats like the ones you posted are even available for the public to view. These types of stats only give a tiny fraction of the information necessary to make a decision. It doesn't matter if you're talking about safety harnesses, seatbelts, construction helmets, consumption of raw oysters, H1N1....... All statistics can be presented in a way that tells the story that is intended to be heard.

My point is, don't rely solely on simple statistics like yours to make your decisions. There is always more to it.

In this case I think your post is irresponsible. But that won't keep me from reading your future posts.
Old 11-18-2009, 02:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

You should be able to Google newspapers in the area of the accident and get some information, if it is online. Let us know about the accident, it maay help prevent another one.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

To reply to a few people, the fatality explanation of the use of the safety harness is correct. Not sure about the exact statistics, but fatalities do occur. Many treestand companies now have a video that goes along with the sale of their stand. They talk about not only the safe aspects of using it, but a thorough explanation of people are dying using harnesses and suffering the affects from being in them too long after a fall. They also include a safety harness along with the stand and video.

So safety harnesses are not the quintessential answer to ultimate safety and can be a source of death. If said child was not wearing a safety harness, this doesn't necessarily mean that's why he died, but in fact, may have been the cause. I highly doubt that, but it's possible.

iSnipe
Old 11-18-2009, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Exclamation

Wow halfbaked, StraightArrowNY just beat the **** out you!

While he states your post is "irresponsible", he'll still read your posts in the future.

So that makes it ok now. LOL!

iSnipe
Old 11-18-2009, 03:42 PM
Typical Buck

If it's the one in Woodruff, a few on the SCDNR forum are saying he was found shot wearing camo in the woods. Other than that, nothing else has apparently been said.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:06 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by iSnipe
Wow halfbaked, StraightArrowNY just beat the **** out you!

While he states your post is "irresponsible", he'll still read your posts in the future.

So that makes it ok now. LOL!

iSnipe

The point was that while I have read many of his posts, only one got a negative response or any direct response at all. Anybody keeping score based on the limited information available would say that I disagree with 100% of his posts. This obviously is not true. You can twist those stats any way you like.

The reality is that I've read many posts of his. Disagreed with some. Agreed with some. Have been indifferent to some. Directly responded to one.

Do you get it?

I have nothing against halfbaked and I thoroughly enjoy many of his posts. I didn't intend for my comment to be an attack on him, but on his post.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.