Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Whitetailers . . .a.m. or p.m.? >

Whitetailers . . .a.m. or p.m.?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Whitetailers . . .a.m. or p.m.?

Old 11-16-2009, 06:13 PM
Banned

Default Whitetailers . . .a.m. or p.m.?

Not much of a white tail hunter. Mulies, Lopes, Elk, etc. S.E. Wyoming.
But I have the opportunity to hunt a property that hold white tail. License is doe/fawn so slick heads only.
Small river runs through property close to a reservoir down stream. River bottom is thick with cottonwood. Alfalfa pivot and cirlce not too far away. 1/2 mile.
What I'm wondering mostly . . . is there a benefit to hunting first light or dusk? I understand the basics, not that much different than mulies (except the direction of their bedding area). Not a tree stand guy either.
Any suggestions?
Old 11-16-2009, 06:20 PM
Typical Buck

Since its doe only and judging from your discription of the area, you will be better to get to a stand site in the afternoon undetected much easier than in the morning. You'll probably tag out the first evening, good luck
Old 11-16-2009, 10:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have my best luck in the mornings for does. What I like about morning hunts this time of season is that as each minute passes, the easier it gets to see, while in the evening, as the time passes, it gets darker. Does will be out eating in the morning after first light and will continue to do so for a while before heading back to their bedding area. I would just hunt where you see the most sign. Does aren't that hard to find and locate because they usually travel in a sisterhood and make a lot of sign with their trails, beds and pellets they leave behind.

I'd start at the river bottom somewhere that I can sneak it at. Also, we're talking does here, so whether you hunt mornings or evenings, you'll be eatin' some fine backstraps!

Good luck and let us see some pics when you find success!

iSnipe
Old 11-16-2009, 10:53 PM
Spike

It's tricky getting to the site in the morning without bumping deer. For me, it's much easier to walk in at at mid-day and wait until last light. Since I'm up this late though, I might go out in a few more hours.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:00 AM
Banned

Thanks . . and oh yeah . . . the rut is just getting started here.
Any good calling with a grunt tube?
Old 11-17-2009, 03:07 AM
Typical Buck

I'd go morning.. walk in about an hour before day light. If your not a treestand guy then my suggestion is to get some play where you'll have the higher ground. During the mid-day is when I would scout around and still hunt the areas that you haven't hunted yet. you may bump something up.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:55 AM
Fork Horn

i would have to say evening , its also easier for me to sit since i know the later it gets the better my chances are lol.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:58 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by iSnipe
I have my best luck in the mornings for does. What I like about morning hunts this time of season is that as each minute passes, the easier it gets to see, while in the evening, as the time passes, it gets darker. Does will be out eating in the morning after first light and will continue to do so for a while before heading back to their bedding area. I would just hunt where you see the most sign. Does aren't that hard to find and locate because they usually travel in a sisterhood and make a lot of sign with their trails, beds and pellets they leave behind.

I'd start at the river bottom somewhere that I can sneak it at. Also, we're talking does here, so whether you hunt mornings or evenings, you'll be eatin' some fine backstraps!

Good luck and let us see some pics when you find success!

iSnipe
Ditto. Morning hunts are my favorite and have been the most successful for me.
Old 11-19-2009, 12:42 PM
Fork Horn

I like evening hunts theyv been more successful for me even though I do see deer in the mornings.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

if you want to know when the best time to hunt is,set up a trail cam over your food plot or whatever your huntin over.i see more deer in the evenings.good luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.