Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

My son's first buck!!! PICS

Old 11-16-2009, 05:50 PM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

Default My son's first buck!!! PICS

I took my 6 year old out for the MO opener. He killed a doe during youth season and said he was waiting for a buck. On Saturday night we had a doe and 2 fawns come in and I asked him if he wanted to shoot and he said NO! I told him that he is doing something as a 6 year old that alot of deer hunters can not. Sunday evening we went back to the alfalfa field. We had 2 small flocks of turkeys come through the field which really passed the time for us. About 20 till 5 this buck slips into the field cruising the edge. My son had been shooting a Ruger Compact in 243 but when I saw the size of this buck I took the 243 away and passed him my 270. He found the buck in the scope and I stopped him at about 80 yards and quartering away. He told me that he had it on him and I told him if he was on him, the you had better kill him. On the shot I saw the buck hump and start running up the field carrying his left leg. I knew he was hit hard but I got caught up in the moment and started yelling "go down, go down!" The buck piled up after running only about 60 yards in the field. There was a celebration in that double bull blind that you can't even believe. We shared some hugs and high fives and tore out of the blind and had a foot race to the buck. As we got to the buck I recognized him b/c of trail cam pics. We high fived some more and hugged and even shed some happy tears. It was the most exciting moment in my hunting career and I was just a spectator. For all the dad's out there you know what I am talking about.
Attached Thumbnails My son's first buck!!! PICS-eli-s-buck-pictures-002.jpg  
Old 11-16-2009, 05:58 PM
Fork Horn

congrats mate!
Old 11-16-2009, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

congrats! glad you both made some memories...
Old 11-16-2009, 07:05 PM
Fork Horn

awesome, seems like you must have had him target practicing religiously. its amazing how many experienced hunters gfet buck fever and choke in situations like this, but a 6 year old can hold it together and nail a big buck haha. good story, hope you make plenty more.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow. That would be a great buck for any grownup.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great!!!! My son is 10 and he will be starting his third season on Sat. He has killed 5 deer in his first two years. Our club lets youth hunters kill smaller bucks until they kill a legal "deer". He killed a 15 inch 7 pointer last year so he is on "adult" rules from now on. He has done a very good job on passing up deer as your son has and I think that he is ready for the challege. Great job and congrats to your son and to you!!
Old 11-17-2009, 04:09 AM
Spike

Congratulations guys, as a Dad I share your excitement, again, way to go!!
Old 11-17-2009, 04:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

WOW thats a beauty, congrats to both of you!!
Old 11-17-2009, 04:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I read so fast I thought you took the .243 away from him so you can shoot the buck. LOL!

That's a great story. It doesn't get any better than that. I've shared a few hunting experiences with my buddies, but can only imagine being there with a son. Wow. Great pic too. Congrat's to everyone on a fun time.

iSnipe
Old 11-17-2009, 05:49 AM
Spike

That's awesome. My baby boy is due in March and I cant wait to make that memory.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.