Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Still hunting during gun season >

Still hunting during gun season

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Still hunting during gun season

Old 11-12-2009, 06:21 PM
Spike

Default Still hunting during gun season

What are the chances of seeing deer while still hunting an area not run by dogs during gun season?
Old 11-12-2009, 06:38 PM
Banned

Very good. I still hunt during bow and gun season. No dogs anywhere and usually have really good success. But it matters on how quiet you can be and if your very good at be stealth or not.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:42 PM
Spike

Oh well then im straight. Im very quiet entering the woods, and i worry about scent control alot. Its about a 20-25 acre square lot that noone runs dogs through. So im guessing that the deer will funnel in there like they did last year when i didnt hunt it. What types of calls and scents would you use?
Old 11-12-2009, 07:35 PM
Banned

I use Tinks 69 and Draw 2 lure. I also throw a buck bomb in there once in a while. I have the Can, Primos Grunt/Weeze and the Rattle bag. Depending on the day I switch it all up. I never do the same exact thing every single time.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

The standard definition of "still hunting" is actually sneaking along quietly and slowly in search of game. In this scenario I would not use any scent, unless you believe in cover-scents and wouldn't use a call because that would give my location away.

One method I have heard of repeatedly, but have never done personally, is to drag some sort of scent rag when you are still hunting in the hopes that a buck may pick up the scent and start following... hopefully right up to you!

iSnipe
Old 11-16-2009, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shot a deer while stillhunting yesterday. The key is to move slow. When the squirrels are oblivious to you, that's about slow enough. You should be standing still much more than you are moving. Stillhunt into the wind or across the wind. You also have to look at everything more than once. Angles change enough to expose a deer you could not see in only a step or two. Be ready to see deer bedded, and not just walking or standing. Mine was bedded when I shot him at about 40-45 yards. He saw me at the last second, but he hesitated one second too long.

Don't be too concerned with making noise if the leaves are dry. Everything out there makes noise. It's more of a rhythm thing. If your cadence sounds like a person walking you will spook game. If you snap a twig be sure to stop and get ready to see a deer stand up. Watch your backtrail, as deer will sometimes let you pass at close range and sneak out behind you.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:16 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by iSnipe
The standard definition of "still hunting" is actually sneaking along quietly and slowly in search of game.

iSnipe
i have just recently heard that as well. Makes no sense to me. I grew up thinking that still hunting was sitting in a stand or a blind and well... being still.

Dont know why they call it still hunting if you are moving through the woods.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:03 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by UncleNorby
I shot a deer while stillhunting yesterday. The key is to move slow. When the squirrels are oblivious to you, that's about slow enough. You should be standing still much more than you are moving. Stillhunt into the wind or across the wind. You also have to look at everything more than once. Angles change enough to expose a deer you could not see in only a step or two. Be ready to see deer bedded, and not just walking or standing. Mine was bedded when I shot him at about 40-45 yards. He saw me at the last second, but he hesitated one second too long.

Don't be too concerned with making noise if the leaves are dry. Everything out there makes noise. It's more of a rhythm thing. If your cadence sounds like a person walking you will spook game. If you snap a twig be sure to stop and get ready to see a deer stand up. Watch your backtrail, as deer will sometimes let you pass at close range and sneak out behind you.
Very good advice!
Couldn't have said it better.
Old 11-16-2009, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Exclamation

Originally Posted by iSnipe
The standard definition of "still hunting" is actually sneaking along quietly and slowly in search of game.

Originally Posted by NC Buck Slayer
i have just recently heard that as well. Makes no sense to me. I grew up thinking that still hunting was sitting in a stand or a blind and well... being still.

Why do we drive on a Parkway and park on a Driveway?

LOL!

iSnipe
Old 11-16-2009, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by NC Buck Slayer

Me too, but iSnipe explained this to me a couple weeks ago as well

I would say your chances are pretty good if your doing the real "still hunting". And I would say that your chances are just as good if your "still hunting" as I see it (stand hunting), but give it a shot either way.