HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   How big is your hunting party? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/309718-how-big-your-hunting-party.html)

leiniesmn77 11-11-2009 07:11 AM

How big is your hunting party?

I was just curious to how many people are in your hunting party.

We average around 10 people each year.

brushbustin 11-11-2009 07:12 AM

0 just the way I like it! I dispise hunting with others, you never have to worry if they are staying where they are supposed to be or if they are keeping quite..I just assume to hunt alone!

GVoverstreet7 11-11-2009 07:46 AM

1 counting me and no one else. I can't stand hunting with others. It annoys me, cause if I wanna stay longer they bitch until we end up leaving cause they're cold.

cardeeer 11-11-2009 07:50 AM

Me , myself and I and thats the way I want it. 2 is a crowd.

skb2706 11-11-2009 08:21 AM

Generally we don't hunt in a party. We hunt based on time constraints and type of license. Total number of hunters in our group is less than five on many thousands of acres.

Scotb 11-11-2009 08:21 AM

Usually 3 or 4 My Dad, Brother and Uncle and we all pretty much get along. My dad used to have a hard time sitting still, but a few years back he shot a monster 11 point and has been pretty good about sitting since then.

BarnesX.308 11-11-2009 08:25 AM

Usually 8 guys in our hunting camp but we hunt individually and have our own ladder stands. The exception being a few drives we do after everyone's had a couple of days to hunt on their own. Usually 6 of us participate in the drives. Usually 3 standers and 3 drivers and we push overgrown clear cuts. Big woods. No agriculture.

gannowell 11-11-2009 08:37 AM

If I'm ground blind hunting, I'd like to hunt alone; If I'm using my climber, I don't mind having another in the woods just in case something happens. I usually have one trip every year to North Florida, about 900 miles round trip, that I go alone and hunt for a week. The time alone in the woods and in the cabin is relaxing.

Champlain Islander 11-11-2009 08:39 AM

Me and my 3 brothers will be at camp. We all still hunt on our own though and rarely run into each other. Big woods hunting and we like it that way.

uncle matt 11-11-2009 08:41 AM

It grows a bit more each year now.

Thru various additions, one subtraction and more additions we are at 10 this year.

Anyone know a good stripper for S. IL?

uncle matt 11-11-2009 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by cardeeer (Post 3502434)
Me , myself and I and thats the way I want it. 2 is a crowd.

Yeah...............unless it's Goldie!

early in 11-11-2009 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by brushbustin (Post 3502394)
0 just the way I like it! I dispise hunting with others, you never have to worry if they are staying where they are supposed to be or if they are keeping quite..I just assume to hunt alone!

Exactly! I don't like seeing anyone else in the woods, much less bring somebody.

bryant1 11-11-2009 09:49 AM

My crew is at most 12 while doghunting, but mostly between 6-10. My hunting party from Sept to early Nov is only me, the way I like it.

deerchump 11-11-2009 09:54 AM

Bowhunting I hunt alone. Shotgun season our party ranges from 8-12 depending on work schedules, etc.

TNGal 11-11-2009 10:39 AM

2 Husband and I, We sometimes take the neighbors son.

1shotkill1993 11-11-2009 10:42 AM

Me and my dad, thats it.

skiking 11-11-2009 11:03 AM

I prefer to hunt by myself, I don't have to worry about other people making noise or not being able to keep up.

bigwhitetailbuck 11-11-2009 11:50 AM

Three for me. Its my father, brother and I. I love enjoying the outdoors with them. This is on a 70 acre piece in NY.

country_guy9734 11-11-2009 01:02 PM

me, my uncle and my cuz at camp. we have a great time

LKNCHOPPERS 11-11-2009 01:12 PM

My woman and my Dad. Three of us but sometimes we hunt alone as well.

Jersey Fresh 11-11-2009 01:31 PM

7-16 hunters.

Stonewall308 11-11-2009 02:01 PM

My hunting party consists of the people I invite over to look at my deer after I've killed it. Until then I am by myself.

I have taken a guy hunting for his first time, but it was squirrel hunting. He got tired of sitting still after about 45 minutes, so I am not sure if I'll be taking him deer hunting.

IL-Cornfed 11-11-2009 02:12 PM

I think it's kind of depressing that many of you don't share the woods with anyone? I mean, what about your Dad or other family members..... what about passing along the tradition to the next generation, don't any of you have kids??? My gun season is shared with my Father and my 3 kids and I wouldn't have it any other way! A great part of the fun of deer season is having people to share the experience with, in my humble opinion.

glockman55 11-11-2009 03:54 PM

This year we will have 15 in Deer Camp, We put up a big Tent and some bring Campers. Great Time, Our opener is Nov. 15th here in Mich. I'm leaving Thursday Morning to beat the crowd. All packed up and ready to pull out at 5:00 am. :barmy:

7MMXBOLT 11-11-2009 04:08 PM

Most of the time I hunt alone but what can stink sometimes is when I do bag something like the Buck in my avitar "Yesterday morning" I had to drag him out myself. Sucker weighed 173 lbs and had to drag him 250 yards. Really wished I had some help cuz he felt like he weighed 300 lbs! When I do hunt with others it is only with a choosen few. My brother and a couple of friends. We have been hunting together many years and so we trust each other to do all the right things. So far 5 deer between us and it ain't over yet!

7MMXBOLT 11-11-2009 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by IL-Cornfed (Post 3502841)
I think it's kind of depressing that many of you don't share the woods with anyone? I mean, what about your Dad or other family members..... what about passing along the tradition to the next generation, don't any of you have kids??? My gun season is shared with my Father and my 3 kids and I wouldn't have it any other way! A great part of the fun of deer season is having people to share the experience with, in my humble opinion.

Exactly what I was thinking. When my dad was alive we hunted together every year. My son is 22 and thought I had him hooked when he was 15 but he went in a different direction. Must be the age! I'm sure he'll come around sooner or later.

brushbustin 11-11-2009 04:19 PM

I have no kids,My dad quit hunting probably 15 years ago,maybe longer,and my half brothers don't hunt,and nobody else in the family hunts,except for my douche bag brother in law,and he is the main reason I hunt exclusivly solo!! Im not against taking new people hunting,just have no one to take.I take my fiance every now and then,when I can talk her into it.

You can bet your bottom dollar that when I do have kids,that I will be takeing them into the woods and showing them to hunt,if they want to and if the good lord blesses me with children.. But at the moment,im 100% solo..

BarnesX.308 11-11-2009 04:31 PM

Wow. Some anti-social bassturds :D

Our camp is me, my dad, one of his old hunting buddies from our old club and 4 or 5 of my buddies.

Some of the guys don't live right around the corner so hunting camp is when I get to hang with old friends.

mossberghunter93 11-11-2009 04:41 PM

Dont exactly know what hunting party is, I hunt alone with my bow but with a gun Im usually with my Dad. except my brother sometimes wil lhun t at the same time as me but its on 77 acres and we hunt in stands so we dont see each other till we done.

The Rev 11-11-2009 05:54 PM

Depends on the hunt and who invited me, but normally no more than three of us, I don't like to hunt around guns I'm strictly a bow hunter.

leiniesmn77 11-12-2009 06:15 AM

I agree with you. I have just as much fun in camp at night playing cards and talking smack as I do in the woods. I think I'm one of the lucky few that have 3 generations that still go hunting. I get to hunt with my grandpa, dad, uncles and a couple cousins. I am hoping that if my daughter wants to go hunting when she gets old enough, and if my grandpa can still go hunting, so we can have 4 generations hunting together.

jeep4x4greg 11-12-2009 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by brushbustin (Post 3502978)
I have no kids,My dad quit hunting probably 15 years ago,maybe longer,and my half brothers don't hunt,and nobody else in the family hunts,except for my douche bag brother in law,and he is the main reason I hunt exclusivly solo!! Im not against taking new people hunting,just have no one to take.I take my fiance every now and then,when I can talk her into it.

You can bet your bottom dollar that when I do have kids,that I will be takeing them into the woods and showing them to hunt,if they want to and if the good lord blesses me with children.. But at the moment,im 100% solo..

I'm right there with ya....I used to deer hunt with my brother...but he moved a few states away and is too busy with the wife and step kid.

dad doesn't hunt anymore and also lives a few states away.

no kids just yet, but I do plan to bring them when I have them and they are old enough.

now...when it comes to non-deer hunting....pheasant, squirrel, rabbit, etc.....that's more of a group activity when I can round up enough people. I have a few local friends that join me for that. everyone around here seems to have their own solo deer hunting spot already.

turkey guide 11-12-2009 11:25 AM

I have always liked hunting with my dad and friends in an area, but usually in separate stands. Back in the 70's and early 80's we hunted in large groups and drove mile sections, pushing deer out everywhere. Back then though the whole country was open to all and the deer were few, so you had to push em hard to maybe see em. Now we are over run with deer and nobody will let you hunt anywhere because it is all leased to guys who only shoot big bucks, so many locals are forced to poach to make it through the winter. I just wish everyone would put up a welcome sign to hunters after the buck season is done, for the week long antlerless season. I lease land myself, because it was either that or road hunt. But when the Non-resident hunters go home with their bucks and antlerless only season begins everyone may hunt here with permission until my management goals are met. In a couple days my daughter and I will share a stand for a couple days and then she will probably hunt with her boyfriend the second weekend. My dad has given up the hunt, my business partner is making himself unwelcome, and so I have my bro inlaw maybe to hunt with and friends/hunting clients from Georgia to visit with after the hunt. It is very different from what it used to be.